Widgetized Section

Back Room Chicago Politics Kills Unemployment Extensions for the 99ers

Washington, DC (Dec 10) – Let us talk about the benefits our President negotiated for the long term unemployed. He has not even acknowledged “The 99ers” in any of his press conferences. It is not a dirty word, Mr. President.

The 99ers are those unemployed the longest, and have exhausted unemployment extensions under the EUC Program. That is why they need an additional Tier V or weeks added to tier IV.

Danny L. Thompson, Nevada State AFL-CIO Executive Secretary-Treasurer called off the rally planned for December 9, 2010 on the steps of the Federal Building 333 Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV when Senator John Ensign, from Nevada, agreed to the 13 month Unemployment Extension for the unemployed.

Why was the rally canceled and not held in support of the longest unemployed in Nevada, the 99ers?

The unemployment rate in Nevada is above 14% and many of the unemployed in Nevada, have, or will, soon exhaust all benefits under tier IV as well as the EUC extended benefits program.

Everyone thinks the unemployed received 13 more months of benefits. The average weekly amount is somewhere around $300 for “WOW” 56 more weeks. What President Obama and none of the news media have yet explained to the public is that information is misleading.

If you are on tier IV this could be just 1 or two more weeks not 13 months or 56 weeks. The unemployment rate is climbing, but claims are lower, which means there is more long term unemployed.  More are exhausting off the final tier IV benefits every day. Millions, the 99ers who need a tier V, lost benefits several months ago.

These people need help too until the unemployment rate is at a reasonable level. What most fail to understand jobs in this country are being eliminated not added. Every time someone is laid off, they do not have income to spend and it is a trickledown effect. They do not shop so if they are not buying someone else loses their job. That is basic economics and with every dollar of unemployment dollars spent, two dollars is an economic gain.

Fox news commentators, and their guest, say the long term unemployed just need more training. Has anyone really listened to the stories of these unemployed?

They are engineers, many with masters, upper management people who managed hundreds of people during good economic times. These are single mothers with children. Everyone loves the Republicans now since they are all in agreement with the President’s negotiated agreement.

That alone should be enough to make you skeptical. Mr. President, you have left your party. What did you get for the long term unemployed, nothing!

Mr. President there are not any good candidates in the GOP for 2012, maybe you should consider changing parties.

Brenda Hyatt Posted by on December 10, 2010. Filed under Breaking News,Economic Recovery,economy,Headline News,National News,National-Headline News,News and Opinions by Brenda Hyatt,Politics,US Politics,WorldNewsVine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

56 Responses to Back Room Chicago Politics Kills Unemployment Extensions for the 99ers

1. Todd

December 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Shame on you Senator Ried! First you propose a bill to help 99ers then cow down. Your own state of Nevada needs you to be strong as does all of the United States. Hanging my head in shame with all that thought United We Stand! Really what is so hard to add 1 more tier of unemployment for the starving and thos of us that are merely just getting By? All of you in The House have alot of explaining to do! Shame on all of you that play politics with peoples lively hood, to extends tax breaks that will not work as history has so clearly pointed out.

Sincerly Dumb Founded In The United States!!!!!!!!!

• bhyatt WNV

December 11, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Todd, everyone expected “The Deal” to include something for the 99ers maybe a few weeks added to tier IV. For Senator Reid to forget Nevada 99ers is shameful.

2. Pingback: Red State: Winners & Losers: AFL-CIO Abandons Obama on ‘NAFTA-Style’ Trade Deal | Katy Pundit

3. Lynne

December 10, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I have read hundreds of stories authored by the unemployed; watched many documentaries centered around the unemployed’ plight & distress. A common declaration is that they ALL have worked since they were in their teens; and this is the FIRST time in their lives they have been unemployed. With the average unemployed 40+ I mus ask.. did saving EVER occur to you..? Many of these individuals used every single penny of credit accessible to live well beyond their means for years! Many had ample salaries that allowed for savings.. However, their choices were dining out consistently, purchasing new clothes regularly, constantly upgrading to new, more expensive automobiles & homes. They all seem to be college-educated but somehow graduated without a basic course in finance.. DO NOT SPEND WHAT YOU DO NOT HAVE. Ah, how they must lament if only they had saved & not friviously spent on non-essential items. So for Americans that chose NOT to take the easy credit, to live in a home we COULD AFFORD and drive a USED car that WE COULD AFFORD.. and even when working work minimum wage jobs – put up savings. Self centered, consumed & interested and for self-benefit only, “through no fault of my own”, in denial, greedy are how those of us who CHOSE not to overspend, save and live within our means .. view the unemployed expecting & demanding support from their neighbors..

• The Truth

December 11, 2010 at 1:38 am

It seems like you should have been able to worn them with all of your infinite wisdom!! Why didn’t you predict the future and tell them about it? There are people who did save and have exhausted their savings because they have families to take care of. Have you stopped to think about that? Sometimes it’s best to think about things before we type them into the universe for everyone to see [please keep it civil].

• Lynne

December 11, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I did try to talk to a few of them.. a clear economic indicator of an approaching market crisis in housing is when rent is not pacing with mortages; people are commiting to $2000+ monthly mortgage payments when (in our area..) they could NEVER rent it for more than $1,000.00/mnth. These people were self-consumed, never did any volunteer or charity and now they expect it, well actually demand it. Is what I am saying not true.. absolutely for some.. but I personally watched 85% of our neighbor go CREDIT CRAZY.. and I

• chuck baldwin

December 14, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Lynn,
          Your comments are typical as I have read them many times over. and they are always the same. The assumptions are always the same, that we are lazy, should only blame ourselves for overspending, didn’t educate ourselves, etc etc. That is unfair. Just as it would be unfair to always assume that people like you are ignorant, cold-hearted, self-centered people who think this way until it happens to you kind of person, the ones who are fortunate that misfortune has passd by and are too stupid to understand the economic cost of not helping those struck down by circumstances not of their own doing and not part of a typical cyclical downturn. But I won’t think that.
          Off all those things you wrote I do not fit any of those situations. I have worked all my life, always enjoyed working and miss my friends. I have college and training experience. I spend every day looking for work, I will apply for any job regardless of wage. But many are in economically devastated areas. I have been to job training and the numbers that show up are huge. I ahve taken care of ill parents and absorbed the costs over the last ten years, I kept my mother out of a nursing home instead of dumping her on the state because I wanted to until her care was too complicated. I have lost my 401, IRA, savings, and used credit to pay for pharmacy tech training. However many of us are facing incredible age descrimination, we are over-qualified, our last pay was to high and that scares them off assuming we won’t work hard for a lower paying job which is untrue. I also have been layed off before in my life and was able to be back to work fairly soon but this is clearly different. And the damage is deep and wide. The numbers are also low-balled as to how many of us there are. I will be losing my house before long and am lucky that I wasn’t caught up in the mortgage crisis where the value dropped lower tham the mortgage but I will probably take a beating because the market is too bad. Istill have a home equity loan to pay off. Not for buying “toys” but for a roof and repairs and a car to transport mom to and from the doc or hospital (mine was too old and unrealiable for this). I feel sorry for some who have become what seems to be this nations new mantra of everyone is a cheat, never help anyone, and only the rich have value. This will be bad for all our futures.

• The Struggler

December 11, 2010 at 2:02 am

@ Lynn. I don’t listen and I try to stay away from people like you. You speak it and it shall happen to you Lynn. You are going to find yourself or your family in this situation. You will not know what to do. The thing I like about rich spoiled snubbed people is that when we have a disaster such as this, you all become helpless. Then you want to humble yourselves and come down off your high horses to get help. You have never been poor or without. Some of you would rather die than be without. Lynne you need to get down on your kness and beg God for forgiveness talking about something you would pray that you don’t experience. Just as God can give, he can take away as well.

• Lynne

December 11, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I got LAID OFF the week after I had my DAUGHTER.. the last thing I would EVER EVER do is depend on the Government to take care of her or myself. I immediately became now self-employed- and much happier. Rather than calling me names – dispute what I have said because this is what the general public are thinking even if they are not saying it to you directly.

• Lynne

December 11, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Maybe God is taking away from you right now .. ever look at it that way..?

• Americangirl

December 11, 2010 at 9:06 am

Oh ? Did each one of these “hundreds” of families you use as illustrations of their own demise invite you out to dinner with them to witness their wasteful spending. Your story isn’t credible.

• mike

December 11, 2010 at 11:56 am

Your a sad person to write this.

• Billy

December 11, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Sorry to be rude but you are a [keep it civil please]. It’s completely useless to respond point by point to your drivel.

4. DJMiles

December 10, 2010 at 6:40 pm

If everyone spend 1/3 of the time contacting every person in congress as they do posting comments to other 99ers you would have or soon have a tier 5. Do any of you really think anyone in congress comes to any of these news websites to read comments?

• bhyatt WNV

December 11, 2010 at 1:14 pm

DJ, the letters are there. Those on the blogs have responded to surveys with their stories in detail with names, addresses, contact phone numbers but the 99ers were ignored when our President made this new “Deal”.

5. DJMiles

December 10, 2010 at 6:54 pm

If you haven’t contacted members of congress,the white house etc then stop complaining. Now is the time to get your voice heard this is your last chance for additional weeks. contact everyone you possible could think of then come on here and post share ideas with other 99ers who they should call,email,fax or all 3 this weekend is it.

6. PrettySinnaaa

December 10, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Obama u suck, no other way to put it.

7. NANCY

December 10, 2010 at 8:30 pm

To Senator Reid,Lynn and DJ Miles,
    Everyone knows that once you can’t find a job wothin the first 90-180 days after losing your job, your chances of finding employment becomes less likely.
    The 99rs are people like everyone else and being in my 60s makes it even harder to find work. Lynn, maybe everyone is not a rich as you are,I have gone through my entire savings after looking for work for over 2 years.
    If all of you had to live on $275.00 a week, pay rent or mortgage, insurance, food, elecric water,phone etc- I have no health insurance I cannot aford it, then maybe you would understand what it is like to be hurting as badly as we are.
    Stop being so high and mighy. I worked over 40 years and did not live above my means, just have not been able to find work so I cannot afford anything no less new clothes – those are just things- we need help from our government, where my taxes went, to help all of us to survive.
    Senator Reid I cannot believe you of everyone is being bought off. I do not spend my days on posting boards.
    Lynn, you are an uneducated stuck up [understood] hope you get a chance to see what it feels like someday.

• almosthomelessncharlotte

December 10, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I agree, Nancy.

Lynne …. where did your clueless, snobbish come from? Mars? In hard times like these, I would think one as supercilious as yourself would be mindful that you could be NEXT!!! And six months after YOUR benefits exhaust….. let’s see how glib & belittling you will be then.

• Americangirl

December 11, 2010 at 9:20 am

Several writers post the same junk written in the same way using different names. The most overused are the “handout” , “people not wanting to accept work beneath them”, “people spent too much”, “people living off taxpayers” and “socialism” themes.
        It’s time for them to realize that using different names on blogs to spread their unAmerican comments designed to divide our country, will fail.

WNV Headline News

December 11, 2010 at 9:27 am

Thanks for the tip —

• Lynne

December 11, 2010 at 12:49 pm

25% of the voters in the Nov’10 elections are 65+ & I work within the elderly community as well as live in a large neighborhood with older generations. Once the easy credit (regardless if that individual was deserving, muchless could repay) became available in 2003. We watched neighbors go on shopping sprees, dine out / delivery constantly.. vacations 2/3x’s per year. These people did not get new jobs with higher incomes.. they were charging up their credit cards & refinancing their homes. Each year new cars (for their kids too!) and finally, 85% moved out to their “dream homes..”. We knew then that these people care only to live in the moment, cared more about getting that giving. UNAMERICAN is making poor financial decisions based on greed and materialistic gain then DEMANDING that you be compensated and taken care of. Now I see those same people driving up in their Navigators, Escalades & expensive cars that they can’t sell (because they owe more than it is worth) to our local food bank, while I am visiting with the director. It is simple Math people and the general American public that have been working and living within our means, saving and s

• Americangirl

December 11, 2010 at 2:52 pm

You “see” nothing, “Lynne” and your story is bogus. Your last sentence is not even complete- acccurate that it ends with the letter “s” though which is the first letter in a word that describes all your posts.

• lynne

December 11, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Back again with the name-calling. I watched the 99er’s special (which by the way.. did not do you’all ANY favors..” $60K, $70K, $200K annual salaries and w/in 2 short years these people are gonna be or already are homeless.. ?? (I liked the “reformed shopaholic digging thru the trash the best..) – – and were all 50+. My God – what in the world have they done w/all the money they made if they all have been working “since I was a teen..” and “this is the FIRST time I have EVER been unemployed..” I mean do you think people are stupid? You all tend to be so full of hate, greed and envy. You make assumptions and then are critical of those anyone that may “generalize” the unemployed simply because we do not support anything beyond 99 weeks of paying people not to work. UNEMPLOYED WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR ANY REASON. The writing is on the wall. FACT – the longer you are unemployed the more difficult it will be to find employment.

• Americangirl

December 11, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Well of course it’s the truth and applies to all unemployed if you watched a “special”.
            No wonder this country is challenged, tube heads with limited minds and zero critical thinking skills plug into a tv show and are convinced it’s “reality”. Epidemic.
            Try getting your head out of your posterior, travel outside your gated community and talk to unemployed, taxpaying, educated citizens whose jobs have been outsourced.

• lynne

December 11, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I guess “special” isn’t the most accurate description for what I watched.. it was the CBSNewsOnline YouTube Documentary..
            Unemployment Benefits: The 99er’s.. it has almost 40,000 views !! in just under a month.. no doubt 99% of them probably being the 99er’s watching so they could [okay was that necessary? If you oppose the 99ers than just state your reasons for doing so] ;-)

• Americangirl

December 12, 2010 at 12:10 pm

My comment was directed to “Lynne” not “lynne”. Anyone reading my posts knows I most definitely support the American worker, especially the 99’er.
            Btw, it sure seems like the “Lynns” are showing up to comment on this thread all of a sudden. Upper case, lower case, e, no e. Where are all the “Bobbie’s” and “Bobby’s”, “Anns” “anne” etc. Hm……

WNV Headline News

December 12, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I will begin to keep an eye out — You are probably correct same person using different emails and monikers

• Helmut

December 13, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Tubehead, that’s pretty funny. Most of these critics like Lynn work for the government or some connection to the govt and never get laid off, never miss a paycheck.

8. Donald

December 10, 2010 at 9:16 pm

[Donald you are one post from being banned]

A note from the editor:

Roses are red,
    Violets are blistery,
    That was Donald’s last post
    He’s history

[just to finalize my poem, WorldNewsVine certainly appreciates and respects everyone’s views and opinions. Please simply keep it civil, and ease up on the baiting and trolling]
    [if you have an opposing view point that’s fine, no one will prevent anyone from posting comments that oppose the views of WorldNewsVine, their members, or participants]

9. A 99er

December 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Senator Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) has written an open letter to President Obama. Senator Brown wants as many people as possible to co-sign his letter. Here is the link to Senator Brown’s letter. It contains a section for us to add our comments. This is where we can ask for a tier 5 or more weeks for 99ers. Please sign Senator Brown’s letter and pass the information on to others. If 99ers don’t make our voices heard, the President & Congress will continue to ignore us. This may be our last chance to get the President & Congress to help 99ers.

Today, Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont), who is 69-years-old, spoke for more than 8 hours nonstop on the Senate Floor. He spoke out in support of the middle class, the working poor, the unemployed and the seniors. There should be more people like Senator Sanders in Congress.

• Billy

December 11, 2010 at 1:18 pm

There is no section to add comments and nowhere does Sen Brown mention the 99ers and a Tier V in the open letter.

• A 99er

December 11, 2010 at 2:17 pm

They changed the webpage. On 12/9 & 12/10, there was a box to add comments after you enter your e-mail address. I checked that site after I saw your comment. You are correct. The box for the comments is no longer there.

WNV Headline News

December 11, 2010 at 2:23 pm

their database either could not handle it, or they finally gave up reading what is more than likely foul language/violence laden comments… we probably screen a good 40 percent of the comments, let some slide after “adjustments” and in the end, have had to ban a few people… I know I personally was able to post a comment… whether they read it or simply deleted it without reading it is another story… just to give you an idea, although Sherrod Brown is very vocal on TV his press staff rarely answers any inquiries unless he is put on TV or Radio to give his response… I communicate back and forth with other sites, and there are several Senators like that… if you ‘ain’t CNN, MSNBC, or FAUX, you ain’t crap’ in their eyes… whether it is their press staff or their staff is acting upon orders, who knows?

10. Scott W.

December 10, 2010 at 11:25 pm

I suppose it really isnt completely Obama’s fault no one seems to be fessing up to this not even a peep out of Stabenow

• bhyatt WNV

December 11, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I agree Scott, where is Stabenow and S3706?

• CynicLgrrl

December 11, 2010 at 4:08 pm

She’s hiding under a rock–afterall, the election is over. They retract the ‘dangling carrot’ afterward, silly.

11. Nancy McGraudy

December 11, 2010 at 12:24 am

While all of these people are talking, I’m living in my car because you can’t even get a room without an income. And hey, let me tell you how easy it is to get a job these days. I’ve always been an Administrative Assistant. I’m currently looking for even an 8.00 an hour job. I’m too experienced and not 20 anymore!

• bhyatt WNV

December 11, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Yes Nancy, how do you feel when someone says ” these 99ers don’t need more unemployment benefits, they just need more training”
      I ask where’s the jobs waiting for those with more training???

12. Pingback: Tweets that mention Back Room Chicago Politics Kills Unemployment Extensions for the 99ers | WorldNewsVine -- Topsy.com

13. Lucy

December 11, 2010 at 7:39 am

I think contacting Congress is a lost cause. They know we’re here suffering and sit by like little mice in the corner shaking. All the 99er events, countless letters writen and for what? I think the only way to get their attention now is to arrange a HUGE gathering, If 75% of us went to D.C. and wouldnt move until we were heard then maybe we could make them do the right thing. You cant really ignore 5 million people on your door step can you? 5 million would be a realistic number if half of us showed up and their familly members, upcoming 99ers etc.

14. robert wa

December 11, 2010 at 10:14 am

yes lucy your right we are trying to get organized go to from the trenches world report and sighn in we are tring to make a stand

15. val

December 11, 2010 at 12:28 pm

it is amusing to observe how most of you complainers are in lock-step with each other . lynne is correct , americans don’t save and now that benefits are drying up ,you turn against those that don’t stroke your ,the -government-owes -me -a – living frame of mind . you seem to panic because christmas is around the corner but there really is no ideal time to be unemployed . another re-occuring theme in the comments i have read is;the rich are to blame for my situation . as someone said : when was the last time a poor person offered you a job? it is too bad obamaclaus isn’t turning out to be the beacon of hope that you longed for at this time . well , you made your bed ,now lie in it ! merry christmas ,and happy kwanzaa

• Helmut

December 13, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Val, generally people get “hired” for a job by a company. I think hannity is the one who started that rigmarole about a rich person “giving” you a job, as if it were a handout.

16. Americangirl

December 11, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Right, that’s another overused theme running through tired troll posts.
    “When was the last time a poor person gave you a job”…etc. – whatever.
    When was the last time people like you gave to charity, volunteered at a local food bank, showed compassion for not only those less fortunate, but even those you work and live with on a daily basis. Most likely never. No one will believe any attempt you make to convince otherwise because nasty people are nasty across the board.
    Shame on you and your army of 3 people posting the same junk under different names.

17. Americangirl

December 11, 2010 at 3:59 pm

When was the last time you had an original thought, “val” et al.

18. CynicLgrrl

December 11, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I’m ready to see a show called ‘Undercove­r Job Applicant’­.
    Senario: 58 year old CEO of big corporatio­n..or ‘Senator’ Posed as ‘long term unemployed­’/ 99er.
    submitting applicatio­ns for MickeyD’s.­.Walmart or TJ Max job. ( ohwai–scr­atch tjmaxx cuz
    4k layoffs)

Previous Employment : “US. Senator’ .
    Salary you expect to receive : $7.95/hr.
    Are you available for weekends and holidays? ‘Err…you mean..for ‘work?? ::lawlz::

This is the only ‘reality’ show I really wanna see right now.

–a really hard dose of reality.

19. CynicLgrrl

December 11, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Every time there is even a casual mention about 99ers it is short-lived–and all the unemployed ‘puppets’ start dancing and getting their hopes up. The ‘casual mention’ is then addressed and met with a ..”yeah..something needs to be done about that” or ‘we need to ‘start talking’ about that etc. And even then, it’s usually only on msnbc and not mainstream media. It’s a fleeting topic at best. There is no outrage–sustained or otherwise. In Europe they riot in the streets because tuition is increasing. Here in the U.S. –millions of desperate people go hungry, lose their homes and everything they’ve worked and struggled for— while Wall Street, Corporate America and elite, self serving-special interest government take a giant dump on them– to which their response is to ‘send a bunch of ‘faxes’ and emails, and phone calls and letters which are, in turn, met with ‘a blind eye’, a mass deletion, an answering machine and a shredder. The 99ers are expendable hostages at best. The only time the millions of desperately unemployed are even ‘vaguely acknowledged’ by the lawmakers is when they are either ‘blame shifting’ over who’s responsible for the high unemployment rate, or when they are trying to gain votes. (at which time the proverbial ‘carrot’ is dangled before the horse)– then almost in the same breath they blame the victims, call them ‘lazy’ and tell them to just ‘suck it up and go get a job’.
    Where is Mr. Smith goes to Washington? Does it have to be a ‘fantasy”? Can’t we even organize a simultaneous flood of millions ‘hand written letters on a paper plate’ to be sent to various ‘non government’ locations? Send them to ANYbody else! Send them to freaking OPRAH!….Ellen, Jon Stewart, ALL the major mainstream media. ANYbody with the power to convey this message AT LENGTH and until it is ON THE TABLE and then a DONE DEAL.
    Maybe the 99ers just need to outsource their ‘outrage’ job to England. They seem to have the right idea. It would seem that the only thing that will help at this point is anarchy. Our Government is beyond listening to the cries of millions.

20. DJMiles

December 11, 2010 at 6:01 pm

99ers made national news today on CNN This lady is printing everyones letters and Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont is hand delivering them to congress the email Address is. DearBernieSanders@gmail.com Please write your story today and get the word out to as many 99ers as you could. This could really help if Senator Sanders gets enough letters he neeeds a Uhaul truck to transport the letters to congress. The 99ers are down to their final days to get something done chistmas break starts friday.
    Again the email address is DearBernieSanders@gmail.com

• Scott W.

December 11, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Yeah and I am certain those will all wind-up in the dumpster behind the Hart building as if, it will make a difference anyway… no one, not even Stabenow is mentioning it now, there has to be some official gag order on the situation or something… the only people you even hear mentioning 99ers, is the loudmouthed celebrities/wannabe journalists on MSNBC and just lately CNN…

Can anyone say, “a snowy day in the pit of hell” before that happens….

21. Hank99er

December 12, 2010 at 12:01 am

Comment has been deleted for violation of WorldNewsVine’s Terms of Service. Advertising other blogs and/or news sites is not permitted.

22. DJMiles

December 12, 2010 at 12:00 pm

cynicLgrll i thaught about that too sending my letters to smarter people like oprah,jerry springer,Bubbles etc…. would probley get much better results. My question is wheres Michael Moore we need him and his camera crew up on capitol hill.

• maschwar

December 12, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I would not count much on Michael Moore for help. Remember, he isn’t poor anymore and he really started disappointing me.

23. DJMiles

December 12, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Michael Moore hasn’t been poor for a long time but he still had made the public aware of how corurpt of goverment is thru his movies and interviews. In the last week i have seen probley 30 members of congress interviewed buy all differnt news networks and not one has asked why no help for the people who need it the most. We see someone to ask the president and members of both the house and senete that question. Hopefully by now all of you realize the democrats are just as much at fault as the republicans actually more to blame since they didnt get us help while holding the majority or while compromising to help the wealthy. The 99ers need to organize better create like a myspace/facebook type website were everyone has 1 place to go to for news,to arrange protests etc….. The message needs to get to both democrats and republicans that we are not going to forget this and come 2012 the 5 or so million of us will be suporting anyone one who runs as a independent.

24. 1976 Marine

December 12, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Dear Lynne, I would like to start off by saying I am employed, so don’t even bother with an insult. I have paid my dues as well as some of yours while in combat in Iraq. You even leaving a comment much less a small novel on how well you have done with what you have means nothing to anyone but you. It’s tree huggers like you who love to shake their finger and look down on someone regardless of the situation. You don’t know if someones child became ill, the long time factory workers job eliminated. It’s because you don’t care nor do I for you. And let me tell you somethin lady, the next time you wanna knock the government, or the system, make sure there isn’t a combat vet in a wheelchair within earshot. Nothings perfect Lynne, and obviously flaws exist, but instead of rambling about your problems and how you have done so great with so little. What is your answer to these poor people? Just like a typical Republican, bitch, cry, and complain. But you never have a resolution!! Go leave your comments on Ann Coulter’s website where you belong. And don’t bother with a response, I know enough Suubaru owners as it is.

25. Lynne

December 13, 2010 at 9:31 am

HARTFORD, Conn. – (AP) — Connecticut officials say hundreds of people have defrauded the state by collecting $2.5 million in unemployment benefits they do not deserve.

Gov. M. Jodi Rell says state labor officials recently mailed notices to more than 800 people, giving them 60 days to repay or prove they do not owe the money.

Connecticut is also now partnering with the Internal Revenue Service to collect that money from the individuals’ federal tax refunds if they do not willingly repay it. PAYPAL beginning January 1, 2011 to issue 1099-MISC (income) for account holders that have 200 or more transactions.

Labor officials use programs to compare newly hired workers against those receiving unemployment benefits, and also match quarterly wage data against the jobless claims.