February 21, 2012 – Recently, President Obama signed into law, the extension of payroll tax cut, and unemployment benefits following two months of bickering by congressional Republicans.
Republicans, seeking any method to keep middle and lower class Americans in check, added provisions to the unemployment extension, which may now, allow states to issue random drug testing for persons collecting unemployment benefits. This was a key point along with, provisions to deny benefits to those unemployed which had not achieved either a, high school diploma or, GED. This measure, the high school/GED requirement was later dropped by congressional Republicans fearing, the loss of the majority of their own party voters.
To date, Congressional members have adamantly refused to address any method which would keep themselves in check for substance abuse by means of random screening by any independent organization obviously fearing the worse, the loss of their as witnessed over the past two years, do nothing high-paying jobs.
The unemployment extension was also lowered to 79 weeks for states meeting the new stricter unemployment numbers as well as, the phasing out of portions of the provisions which millions of unemployed Americans have come to rely on, to simply feed their families.
Equality has been fundamentally lacking within this country for years however, has increased ten-fold during the past administrations reign of unchecked economic policies. Currently, the nation’s economic outlook, on the surface at least, appears to be stabilizing but still, the balance of fairness between those within the upper 1percent of the nation’s earners and the rest of 99percent remains as drastically disproportionate as, the national deficit.
The nation’s majority should take a stance regarding at least one measure that being, independent, random alcohol, and drug testing of the nations elected officials removing the impunity the few have enjoys for decades. Lawmakers pushing to provide a better place for the wealthy to do business in, have in fact provided for a “safe-haven” for themselves to remain gainfully employed.
Jim Alexander – WorldNewsVine