House Dems Vote against Tax Cut Unemployment Extension Deal | Updated

Washington, D.C. (Dec 9) – Just moments ago, an announcement was made that House Democrats will vote not to bring up the Tax Cut along with unemployment extension deal in its current form.

Many lawmakers in the House have expressed their displeasure regarding President Obama’s tax cut, unemployment extension proposal. At issue is the estate tax along with continuation of upper income tax cuts.

There has been no mention regarding any concerns or issues with the purposed unemployment extension program regarding providing additional weeks for the long-term unemployed.

This morning Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN) expressed his concerns regarding the 99ers as he feels lawmakers should do what they can to provide for those that have exhausted their benefits as well as providing for those that have recently had their benefits expired.

This is a breaking story; we will keep you updated as we learn more.

- WorldNewsVine Headline News

UPDATE: 12/06/2010 12:10 pm

Senator Reid just announced on the Senate floor he will be giving everyone ample time to review the Tax Cut/Unemployment Extension proposal. Senator Reid mentioned there could be a need for another Saturday meet for a cloture vote on the measure.

Senator Reid added, that many have expressed there are provisions some would like removed while others would like to see certain provisions added. The Majority Leader was not succinct on those provisions.

UPDATE: 12/06/2010 2:29 pm

The House Democratic Caucus today voted against taking up the White House-GOP arranged tax package unless changes are made in bill.

UPDATE: 12/06/2010 5:00 pm

Original House Tax Relief Bill has been agreed to in the Senate… Senator Reid asked that the Baucus amendment be added to the bill without objection.

Senate Democrats and Republicans agree to bring the measure to the Senate floor for debate.

Earlier Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) made note that a Saturday session may be required to finish work on the bill.

No mention whether amendments would be allowed during the debate as no mention of the time allotted for the debate.

In addition, the Majority Leader acknowledged that he was aware that some measures would like to be added to the bill while there have been requests to have some measures removed.

Off floor, discussions concerning the measure are still underway.

BREAKING NEWS 12/09/10 08:16 pm

Motion to Table the Motion to Refer the House Message to accompany H.R. 4853 (Middle Class Tax Relief Act of 2010). Yeas and nays ordered. The Motion to Table was agreed to by a vote of 65-11.

Reid withdrew the Motion to Concur in the House amendment to the Senate amendment to H.R. 4853 (Middle Class Tax Relief Act of 2010) with Baucus amend #4727 (In Nature of a Substitute).

WNV Headline News Posted by on December 9, 2010. Filed under Breaking News,Economic Recovery,economy,Headline News,Politics,US Politics,WorldNewsVine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

115 Responses to House Dems Vote against Tax Cut Unemployment Extension Deal | Updated

1. Bill in MD

December 9, 2010 at 12:19 pm

So i guess that means they will get nothing done and next yera the tax cuts will go thru and still nothign will be done because the Dems will no loner have the power in the house to get any unemployment extenstion approved. anybody got a spare box?

December 9, 2010 at 12:22 pm

No, what it means is the Senate will have a shot at it… and hopefully they can come up with a compromise bill that will work…

• Madeline

December 9, 2010 at 1:04 pm

And you can indulge in this opinion because you have a job and know you will be able to pay your bills in January. Today I received my last unemployment check. No Christmas tree in my home, gifts hidden in closets or anything else merry right now. We have cut back on everything in an effort to try to make every little bit last. Thank God I never spoiled my kids and they are happy with a roof over their heads, utilities, food and each other.

• Latanya

December 9, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your situation Madeline. My last check comes next week and it makes me sick to read about all the political BS going on when there are millions of us with our livelihood at stake and at such a horrible time. It’s hard for me to comprehend that these politicians seem to be more worried about leaving for Chrismas break than solving any issues, while the rest of us have to figure out a way to keep our homes and families warm and happy. I say fire them all and let us unemployed people run the country, I’m sure we can’t do much worse than these arrogant a$$holes. Good luck to you in the future and God Bless you and your family over the holidays.

• Renee

December 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Madeline I’m with you, I received my last one yesterday and had to pay my rent so that leaves me with basically nothing now. I don’t know how I’m going to pay my utilities bills that started to come in. And what do they care they will all go on their Christmas break and have a great holiday while the unemployed sit here wondering what we can enjoy.

• Okie98

December 9, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I too am on my last check,,all this debate over the Bush cuts and UI exts,,I just don’t get why the Dems are holding this up when they claim to be for the middle class, I’m sorry but if the wealthy are only 1% their tax bill would no where near cover the deficit woes. Just seems to me that less spending would be more beneficial. Every man,woman,and child even most business must operate on a budget, seems like the feds just raise taxes.

2. David

December 9, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Well,Looks like i will be living under a bridge.

December 9, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Believe it or not, this is a good thing…. if the repubs don’t come to a reasonable compromise on this, the wealthy won’t be getting anything next year either… their are enough Senate Dems to make certain that the unemployed will be taken care of before the repubs get their cash for their rich friends…

• Michael

December 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Seems to me that everyone (including the Dems) was complaining for the last two years about the lack of compromise. Now those same people are complaining about compromise. Without compromise on both sides our government will continue to be ineffective. Shame on Nancy Pelosi and the Dems for holding all of us hostage to her narrow extreme liberal views…

December 9, 2010 at 1:44 pm

FYI – Seaker of the House Nancy Pelosi supported the current proposal it was by the grace of the good lord (whomever that may be for you) for those that need the assistance, that enough Democrats in the House stood up against it…

• Michale

December 9, 2010 at 1:53 pm

You should check your facts about Nancy Pelosi. She did NOT support this compromise and came just short of conflict with Pres. Obama…

December 9, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I know my facts… I have contacts with press secretaries — unlike you receiving “facts” from FAUX News

• P.A.S.

December 9, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Are you serious? “If the repubs don’t come to a reasonable compromise on this, the wealthy won’t be getting anything next year either…” The rich are worried that they may have to shell out a few hundred to a few thousand dollars more in taxes. Some of these people have shoes in their closet that cost more than their tax bill would increase and those of us who are trying to put food on the table, a roof over our heads, and the heat on should look at this as a “good thing”? The unemployed folks who have run out of money could care less about all of this political blackmail that is going on in the capital, they just want to survive. Most of the people that will benefit from the tax cuts are in the same income bracket of the people that put us in this mess to start with and we’re supposed to be concerned about whether they get a break on their million dollar incomes????? My last check came last week, it was only $79. My rent is due this week, it is $500. Do the math, it does not compute. The unemployed need relief now, not more fighting from out of touch Bureaucrats

• Michael

December 9, 2010 at 2:21 pm

The republicans did come to a compromise. They agreed to passing the unemployment extension in exchange for allowing the Bush tax cuts to continue for an additional 2 years for all. Their original position was that they would not vote for an unemployment extension unless it was funded. It is the Dems that don’t want to accept the compromise and are holding us all (I’m unemployed also) hostage…

• Joe

December 9, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Anything is better than nothing at this stage. Its a shame that those who need it least get the most. Its as though insanity prevails. If just half of the $800 or so billion given to the rich were set aside for the unemployed, it would be more than enough to source funds for nearly two years for the unemployed. Watch what happens as more and more run out of benefits.

• ryan

December 9, 2010 at 12:33 pm

How does the think government think us people on unemployment are able to survive. I’m 23 years old and i keep getting turned down for jobs due to me being over qualified. I guess when all the people on unemployment are homeless and cant afford to provide for our families i guess the government will have a bigger problem on their hands.

• rick

December 9, 2010 at 1:21 pm

if your over qualified then go to the military. they have plenty jobs

• dave

December 9, 2010 at 2:00 pm

rick – interesting my brother’s name who was in the military. There is an age cut off – I checked. Since I am over qualified, would you hire me?

• JH- OHIO

December 9, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I actually had the same problem. I worked for chrysler and got laid off, then found a job at a supplier plant through a temp service. Once I got done with the interview the temp service called me and told me that the interview went great. EXCEPT they thought I was over qualified and wouldn’t be happy there. I told the temp I would be happy even though it was a huge pay cut. Well they hired me and about 1yr later got laid off due to them losing there business and stuff slowing down. now becoming 99er and scared cause I apply everyday and never get a response. I couldn’t even get hired for holiday help due to lacking retail experience and now a gap in work history. PLEASE HELP 99ers OR GET US JOBS – OHIO…. Plus I’m a student trying to get a degree in another field. 30 years old and about to be living on the streets with everyone else.

3. Heather

December 9, 2010 at 12:34 pm

C’mon America – both sides need to get their acts together and do the ‘right’ thing. Stop letting egos get in the way. The fact is, unemployment rates are through the roof. People, American people, need help. There need to be unemployment extensions for everyone – the 99ers included. This is a very serious matter.

• Mikel

December 9, 2010 at 12:48 pm

They will drag this out until next year. In the mean time more and more people will lose there homes and will not be able to have a half way decent Holiday.

You can bet they will all be sitting down with there familys having a beautiful Christmas and opening gifts while other are trying to explain to there children why they have no gifts under the tree..or food on there tables..

They just do not care..

• rick

December 9, 2010 at 1:23 pm

you people on here are a disgrace. there r people hamburger to eat or a roof over there heads. but u wont even a dollar and u expect government to help. u r inconsiderate and selfish.

• jayson

December 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Then why dont u give me a job I was making 26 dollars an hour and have many osha certified certificates to operate machinary but construction slowed down so why dont u com to pa and build something or shut up u dont need unemployment so y r u on here plus i probably bring home more then u do and im on unemployment 534 a week can u beat that mister a hole

• allen

December 9, 2010 at 2:08 pm

you got that right heather. this is nuts when we can hand out money to other countries that are in need we the people have to deal with this crap. lets get it right and take care of our own …

4. Bill in MD

December 9, 2010 at 12:35 pm

my only concern with that logic is that the wealthy are.. well.. wealthy.. they can afford it.. they may not like it but they can in fact pay it… I really hope they can come up with something but for now…. it looks like the 99s may have some company in the very near future.. some 26ers.. :(

5. Mark

December 9, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I commend Democrats for putting their foot down. This is a bad deal. There needs to be further compromise on the unemployment piece.

• Jack

December 9, 2010 at 12:54 pm

you must have a job Mark

• rick

December 9, 2010 at 1:25 pm

one year from now, we will be in the same situation, there is no need to extend benefits. no extension will force individuals to go find work at mcdonalds and grocery stores and etc. but they dont wanna work, unemployment is not a disability check. stop complaining people and im not rich im on unemployment myself.

• Greg

December 9, 2010 at 1:45 pm

if there is work to be found at Mc Donald’s and grocery stores, then why are you still unemployed? If it is that easy to find a job, then why still collect unemployment?

• dave

December 9, 2010 at 2:10 pm

You do have a job don’t you? It is easy to tell with that attitude. I have applied for over 2,500 jobs since 8/2008 – and guess what – as soon as I walk into an interview the age factor kicks in. Ya, 55 white male with a college education, years of solid experience, and gray hair is not wanted in this economy. Just for the record, I have applied at Walmart, Meijer’s and other less desireable places as well. There seems to be no jobs. Right now I substitute teach – but that leaves me with no healthcare & I do not want Obamacare – it also does not cover my bills which are minor compared to most people’s. Do me a favor, since you a so certain there are plenty of jobs for us downsized people who now want to sit at home and collect less than I used to pay in taxes, quit your job and go find a new one. Then come back in six months and tell us how we do not want to work. Good luck pal – you will need it.

• P.A.S.

December 9, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I’ve applied at every fast food, restaurant, grocery store, minimum wage job I can find, as well as temp services, and every where else that is hiring. Even if I’m not qualified for a job I apply just in case I’m qualified for something else they may have come open, and I can find nothing. Whether people want to believe it or not if you are over 40 you have a lesser chance of getting the job. Most companies today figure they will have to pay you for your experience so they will take a younger less experienced person that they can pay less too. What they don’t get is that those of us with experience are willing to take that pay cut just to have a job. But they figure as soon as things turn around and you can find something that pays more you will leave. So we find nothing. “You’re over qualified, you’re under qualified” are all excuses many of us have heard. Are there people on unemployment that don’t want to find work? Of course there are there will always be someone who plays the system but the majority want their jobs back, or another job where they can feed their family. I’m really tired of hearing people like you generalize and clump all of us into one big lazy pot. I worked for 30 years straight without ever being on unemployment and if I could find something that would get me out of this mess I’d gladly take it. Stop generalizing Rick, everyone’s story isn’t the same. And by the way, if McDonald’s is hiring, why are you still on unemployment?

• Brad

December 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Mark you do not realize that all the rich that hire people are not hiring people because the tax cuts are going away the more they pay in taxes the fewer people they hire so you continue to commend the Democrats for putting there foot down well I say all they have to do now is flush the toilet and then this country will be in the sewer.

6. Nicole

December 9, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Doesnt the bill have 2 be passed n the senate n the house. I hv been unempliyed since feb 2009. Found a job but it doesnt start until mid january. I need this extension so that I wont fall 2 behibd n bills b4 I start my new job.

December 9, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Correct — let’s see what the Senate can come up with as a compromise

• tom

December 9, 2010 at 1:01 pm

The bill in it’s current form does not work. It only addresses the issue of filing for unemployment benefits under EU funding. The bill does not create additional weeks or additional tiers which are needed. the senators need to add Sen. Stabenow legislation S.3709 “American want to work Act”. This address the issue with the 99ers and possible job creation for the unemployed. This bill was thrown under the bus by the Republicans back in August. This the legislation that must be added along withthe 13 months extension of filing for unemployment benefits. DON’T LET THE MEDIA FOOL YOU.
        THE CURRENT BILL DOES NOT ADD WEEKS OR TIERS. IT ONLY ADDS ADDITIONAL TIME TO FILE FOR BENEFITS.
        PASS S.3709

7. WNV Headline News

December 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I urge everyone that has visited this article, if you have not participated in our poll, to visit http://worldnewsvine.com/2010/12/millions-face-homelessness-under-current-unemployment-extension-deal-poll/ and vote… thank you

8. tom

December 9, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I agree with WNV Headline News. Maybe the Republicans will compromise and pass S.3706 “American want to work act” along with any other concessions.
    The bill in it’s present work does not work. It only gives an extension on filing unemployment claims. It does not give additional weeks or add any tiers.
    The bill in it’s present form only benefits the Republican interest. people that are drawing EU funds still only have the mandated 99 weeks. When your 99 weeks run out, it;’s over. Not the 13 months the media is touting about.
    People should be informed. This is good for people that are newly unemployed. As I said earlier, if you are in the system; this is a short term fix.
    We need to contact our elected officials and tell them our needs.
    AMERICANS WANT TO WORK. WE DON’T WANT A HANDOUT.

9. todd

December 9, 2010 at 12:51 pm

fine lets cut everyone off of everything.no tax cuts for rich ,no extentions for unemployed,and no welfare.ohb and of course no pay increases for law makers.

10. gary99er

December 9, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I’ve been unemployed since November 2008. I’ve applied for hundreds of jobs including minimum wage jobs…in state and out of state..but to no avail. I’ve exhausted just about all my savings including my kids future education funds. This will never be replenished. I am down to one car that desperately needs repairs for a family of four and will have to cancel my health insurance coverage…by the way…my insurance provider just told me rates are going up in January because of the Obama health care plan..

11. Jenny

December 9, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I am wondering if anyone knows when the Senate or anyone else for that matter will get something done on the unemployment extension. For the people who have already ran out….will they have to reapply or will they just get the money….and will they get the back weeks?

12. Paul

December 9, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Hey Dems, how about a teir v, this is politcs: the Reps would give almost anything [paul and other, please we have folks reading these comments from the outside right now] to get the tax cuts for the rich, you can get a teir v extension for at least 12-13 weeks so these people can make it through this winter. Let’s press the common sense button, no money for the resources to find a job = no job. So when you say you want people to get jobs, don’t be hypocrites Republicans.

13. Jack

December 9, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I am unemployed and looking for work have been for a year and some weeks, as of last week I have nothing, you know I much rather work then draw unemployment, but are no Jobs, you can tell the ones who have jobs as they post their comments, I bet you you would not say it was a bad deal if you did not have any money comming into the household

• Marie

December 9, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I totally agree with you Jack. They just don’t get it.

14. jay

December 9, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Well let me call my contractor to stop construction on my 2 story cardboard box home!!

15. Brett

December 9, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Well, the longer it takes them to compromise, the longer the rest of us unemployed through no fault of our own are scrambling to find a way to pay our rent or mortgage, heat, electric, food. I don’t have any family to move in with. I’ve lived in my car for a few weeks in the dead of winter many years ago. It’s God awful out there and I had a car with heat. Every hour I had to run the engine to keep warm. Going to the mall bathroon early in the morning when no one was around to wash up. Brush my teeth etc. You do what you gotta do to survive. These people in Washington don’t know how to work together because each has their own agenda. The rich keep getting richer and the poor, poorer. I can’t believe the Reps are pushing for a tax cut ext for the wealthy and are adamant about blocking benefits for the unemployed unless they get their way. It’s not as if we were fired because we’re lazy or we were incompetant. I worked for a credit card company that really screwed themselves and their customers. I have no control over anything the VPs and the CEO does. So I’m outta work and I can’t find someone to hire me doing what I’ve been doing for 12 years. I guess it’s time to go to Walmart and stock shelves. But I’ll have to work two jobs around the clock to stay afloat. I’ve cut most of my expenses. Cut the fat wherever I could. What else can I do? I’m hoping to ride it out and hopefully live off of the UC benefits until someone gives me the opporunity to work for them.

• Alex

December 9, 2010 at 1:38 pm

U lucky! U have wireless internet in ur car!

16. Marie

December 9, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Please let them pass an extension for unemployment benefits. I am so scared how I am going to pay my bills and feed my three kids. I do not like being on unemployment but I can’t find a job(believe me, I am trying!). This has been a HORRIBLE year. Please let it end with some good news.

• rick

December 9, 2010 at 1:28 pm

you can apply for foodstamps right now, thats how you feed 3 kids and you can get cash assistance from the state when u apply for benefits. there are plenty jobs out there, people just dont want to settle and they got use to getting a free check.

• leslie

December 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I want your job so where are you working at ????????????

• SHELLY

December 9, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Hey u need to sit back and chill with ur ignorant [please with the language] comments…PPl do not want to live off welfare, especially when they are unemployed do to no fault of their own. It’s ashame when we have ignorant ppl who think like you and want someone to settle for less.. Yeah, it’s easy said then done, I’m one of the ppl who is living off unemployment and yeah I hope they extend it. I’m not going to take a job that I’m over qualified to do, so yeah I rather sit back and continue my job hunting until I find the right job. If it wasn’t from that dumb ass president we had previously we wouldn’t be in this situation right now. Yeah, there are plenty of jobs out there, but for everyone who applying for one job there is another 10 ppl who is also applying for the same job. THis economy needs unemployment insurance to move on. Without ppl spending any money, how can money circulate [deleted]!

• Dan out of work

December 9, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I’m sick of every little issue being blamed on Bush,,you really think for a minute a Liberal would have created a tax cut policy,,if you do ,,why did’nt Clinton do that and more. On the big picture this constant bickering and short term fixes are ludacris, both parties are playing politics at their finest and ALL of this was no fauult of working people but was fault of politicians,Wall Street and corporate greed. Unfortunately,,who is paying for it?

• Nicole

December 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Having 3 kids does not guarantee food stamps and cash. I’m married with 2 kids, but my husband’s income alone is not enough for us, but to the government its more than enough from them not to approve food stamps. Thank God I am starting a job because of networking. I just hope everything doesn’t get cut off before I can start that job.

17. tom

December 9, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Pass S.3709
    Incentive for employers to hire the unemployed through tax breaks and tax incentives.
    The job market views the long-termed unemployed as “damaged goods”
    Their skills have no market value and they must look for a new career.
    I have looked for work in-state and out of state but to no avail, I am still unemployed.
    I hear ya Gary99er, I’m in the same boat.

18. Brad

December 9, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I am unemployed and a republican and I hope all of the republican haters out there realize that the democrats do not care about the people either it will always come down to who is going to get there way. As of Friday I did not get the job that I interviewed for and as of Tuesday I got my last check I am a month and a half late on my car payment and what do I do then I live in a city where there is no public transportation so you can not say take a bus so please tell me what I am supposed to do.

19. David

December 9, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I am only on my first extention.I need this to pass,so i can have alittle more time to find a job.

20. Anthony

December 9, 2010 at 1:22 pm

All unmployed need to be included 99ers and all ! EITHER GIVE PEOPLE JOBS OR EXTEND UNEMPLOYMENT TO ALL ! I WILL WORK I WILL WORK I WILL WORK AND I HAVE WORKED FOR 30 YEARS WITHOUT UNEMPLOYMENT. GIVE ME A JOB OR CONTINUE BENEFITS FOR ALL. this is not just about new unemployed or old unemployed but ALL UNEMPLOYED! we all want jobs and we all want to pay our bills. all the years I worked I never complained about paying taxes. giving billions to the rich while the poor suffer is wrong wrong wrong. the only acceptable thing to do is give benefits to all unemployed or give jobs and right now because people are in need RIGHT NOW!

• Nicole

December 9, 2010 at 6:47 pm

There are so many people with city, state, and federal jobs that don’t appreciate them. Theit attitudes are nasty. They are rude and extremely slow. Their are millions who can do their job more effectively and efficiently, but they are unemployed and not given the chance.

December 9, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Along with pushing with providing for all unemployed, Senate Democrats should also be pushing for a repeal of the Foreign Tax Credits which is nothing more than a Republican Ponzi scheme that allows the wealthiest to double-dip as far as not paying taxes goes by sending jobs offshore and overseas claiming the Foreign Tax Credit…. the Republicans have run a scam on this country for the last 10 years that has caused more damage than during the Reagan years when all the Republicans were playing the Penny Stock scam… Harvey Milken (I believe was one of the major players with close ties to Reagan)… the Republicans are just plain crooks that’s all there is to it… they sell snake oil to millions of uneducated American voters….

21. Job Seeker

December 9, 2010 at 1:23 pm

If we don’t get our Bush Tax Cuts renewed then were gonna make unfortunate people suffer. We want our tax cuts so we can hoard the mon… oops I mean create good jobs for people. We have plenty of money already but we want to be SO rich that that even our spoiled rotten great great great grand children can walk around thinking they are superior beings. 99ers arent people. They are just parasites that want a hand out. We knew this would happen when we out sourced all their jobs, thats why we dont want them to have health care either so hopefully they all just die off. Well thats enough for now. I have to go make lunch and throw away more than i eat.

22. Latanya

December 9, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Dear politicians: Can you please explain to my 5-year old why she doesn’t get a Christmas this year? Or can you maybe give up one of your kids toys to give to her? And in January, when my savings will be drained and I’ll still be unemployed, can my family come live with you, because I’m sure it will be just a matter of time before the mortgage company will want the house. And when the bill collectors call, can I give them your home number so you can explain to them that you can’t get along long enough to care about the livelihood of the millions of unemployed Americans? And do you know they don’t sell any fruit and veggies at the Dollar Tree where I’m now forced to grocery shop? I hope you have Happy Holidays.

23. leslie

December 9, 2010 at 1:30 pm

WOW is all I can say. We need to throw out Party affiliations and put regular people in the house and senate by lottery somehow. people who know how to live on a budget and these days NO budget because there is NOTHING to budget. We would probably have job growth, a balanced budget and some in savings. politicians need to be a extinct breed…………….

24. Anthony

December 9, 2010 at 1:34 pm

we are trying to survive 700 billion ? take that money distribute it to the states. mandate it strickly for job creation. reqire a schematic of what jobs will be created what it will cost and how many will be employed. enforce this and you will have people working paying taxes as well as paying back into the system : bills food products etc. in the meantime grow the economy move people into other positions and then this program can be phased out as necessary. people WORKING FEEDING THE ECONOMY AND MOST OF ALL SURVIVING. LETS PUT AMERICA BACK TO WORK AND BUILD THIS COUNTRY TO WHAT IT USE TO BE. DONT LISTEN TO TRICKERY PEOPLE WANT TO WORK AND LIVE.

25. Jerry

December 9, 2010 at 1:43 pm

The fact is I’m a Republican unemployed and the deal in its current form is just plain wrong. I can live with a two year tax extension for people making over 250,000.00 if they put in stone starting year three these people pay the higher rates. In return the 99ers should receive a 13 week extension. The death tax should be 35% tax on a household of 3.5 million. Nothing else should be included in the bill. When are we going to face we have a debt problem. We just keep kicking the can down the road. Lets stop now before its be late.

26. Brittney

December 9, 2010 at 1:45 pm

benefits need to be extended, families need to be cared for..thats all that matters.

27. jeremy

December 9, 2010 at 1:48 pm

uhh tom yes it does extend benefits for ppl you are wrong read about the bill you will be able to move through the currrent 4 tiers with the 1 year extension

December 9, 2010 at 1:54 pm

how can someone that has lost their job say even in September of this year move through all four tiers in 12 months, and not all states provide the fourth tier or extended benefits… Jeremy you are simply incorrect the bill (which from my sources in DC tell me hasn’t even been penned yet it is still a proposal) does not ensure everyone will collect 99 weeks of unemployment nor help those that are still struggling….

P.S. Extended Benefits which most states do not have accounts for 20 weeks out of that 99

28. Unemployed in CA

December 9, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I encourage everyone who is getting ready to lose a check over the goverments arguiiung over whether we will be able to support ourselves to get ample copies of the unlawful detainer forms and past due shutoff bill notices and start faxing our elected officials. The idea is if we cant pay the bill then they can because they are taking our lives and playing russian roullette. btw I have worked for 20 years and over paid on taxes in the form of late fees. so i have contributed to the system. and try getting a job here in CA is not the easiest. happy holidays bah humbug.,explain this mess to the kids.

29. JIM

December 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I AM 52 AND FINDING A JOB IS IMPOSSIBLE. WORKED FOR OVER 30 YEARS AT THE SAME COMPANY. PACKAGE WITH MY NAME ON IT. LACK OF WORK. ALL I HEAR IS, YOUR OVER QUALIFIED AND TO OLD. TEIR 5 PLEASE. WHERES THE SENSE AT? I NEED TO RETHINK WHO I WILL VOTE FOR!

30. WNV Headline News

December 9, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Once again I urge anyone that has not participated in the online poll to visit http://worldnewsvine.com/2010/12/millions-face-homelessness-under-current-unemployment-extension-deal-poll/

We have the thread and totals out to several members of Congress…

31. Charles Raines

December 9, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Include the 99er’s, we have been struggling a long time, we need to at least make it to spring. Something to keep us going.

Charles

• nick

December 9, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Obama is the republicans lap dog. Giving 2 years of tax cuts to the wealthy for just a slight extension not including the 99ers. He is a joke and won’t get another term with these actions.

• michellebr8

December 10, 2010 at 5:42 pm

then what

32. MARY

December 9, 2010 at 2:07 pm

To date I have sent out 1167 resumes with nothing to show but increased spam in my inbox. I’ve sold everything in my house I’m about to lose but a plastic chair and second hand cofee table.

It makes me sick to see washington streamline a food safetly bill and black farmer lawsuit bill rife with fraud through washington and nothing to create more jobs or assistence to the jobless.

I’m feeling so hopeless right now.

• Tony

December 9, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I know how you feel Im 2 months from eviction if this ext doesnt pass. Then its only a few more months till have to go through this again. Our countryman need to revolt maybe that would get some attention. GOD BLESS good luck

33. Tavita

December 9, 2010 at 2:13 pm

When did America stop caring about Americans, that’s my question.

34. Chicago

December 9, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Yes this is a very serious matter. The 99ers and all unemployed need benefits continued until companies are hiring – that won’t be for months…maybe Feb-March…companies not hiring. I have 20 years experience, a Masters degree, and exactly right that can’t get lower level jobs b/c they just won’t hire…What do the Republicans expect people to do? It’s AWFUL that they are allowing the top 1% who donated to their campaigns to dictate – economists agree that the tax cuts for rich are bad for economy and also agree that unemployment benefits boost the economy. As far as “unpaid for” idea…Repub’s are ok w/ rich people tax cuts not being paid for…

35. Bill in MD

December 9, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I wouldnt hold out much hope for those idiots in DC to agree to anything before congress breaks for the winter. Im sure there is a building that needs to be named and that will be more important to them since none of them have to answer to an election for a while yet. Besides, its not like any of them have a mailbox full of cutoff notices. I hope they choke on their eggnog.

• oakland ca

December 9, 2010 at 4:38 pm

first the repubs turn their back on us now the democrats this is just ridiculous politics.Democrats need to follow their leader obama on this one this isn’t the time to fight with the repubs not for the holidays and anyways democrats lose house next month.Swallow it democrats stick by obama and trust him or go down with him.Im not into politics but why do these imbissols have to agree on it when obama the head honcho came to the agreement on this deal?Ih he agreed to it can’t he sign it without further opposition?

36. Issa

December 9, 2010 at 3:53 pm

It’s time to redirect our emails to the House. They’re our hope now, right now. Plead for a Tier 5 or extension to Tier 4. You have to spell this out because some reps don’t know what we’re talking about. You can find a list of hot links to all in Congress at
    Use words like: desperate, begging, hopeless, and ‘if Americans won’t help us, who will?’

37. Donald

December 9, 2010 at 4:07 pm

For every dollar taken from the government taxes must be raised which results in less money left for employers to hire or keep people hired. Essentially anyone who is living off the government dole is participating in a WAR ON JOBS. What do you want 99ers a job or government dole? They are mutually exclusive, try to think this through, if you passed 3rd grade you should be able to understand this important case of cause and effect.

• Hannah

December 10, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Taxes are not being raised to compensate for unemployment. In fact, taxes are PAID on unemployment. Silly, right? The government gives me money, but I have to give some of it back.
      Consider, the unemployment crisis is the EFFECT, not the cause. While poor business practices and decisions and laws are partly the cause…

38. Dennis

December 9, 2010 at 4:19 pm

This is a shame that our government is playing this political game with over 14+ million U.S citizens unemployed. Where is the humanity in this madness? The government can bail out big business and make billions of dollars in profits but has no money to help the unemployed. The government can send money to help other countries with there debt (banks) but can not help the unemployed. The government can give tax breaks to the wealthy but can not give the unemployed a helping hand in time of need. The government can go home and have a happy holiday but the unemployed is worrying can they pay the rent or there mortgage, keep the car, pay there insurance or just keep the electricity on, Then maybe the kids will get a gift and enjoy the holiday. I think you know where this is going…..WHAT A SHAME what happen to we the people not the goverment and then the people. I hope that the goverment will wake up from there world and give the unemloyed a little happiness and joy under there tree. PASS THE unemployment extension to all and good night.

39. Shawn

December 9, 2010 at 4:59 pm

If they can’t get this bill passed, I think Obama needs to tell congress to stay there for 24/7 to get this bill passed. That means no bill passed before Christmas they’ll have to stay over Christmas to get this deal done. About 2 weeks ago the Republicans where coming out like the grench,but now the Democrats are being the grench and holding unemployment extension hostage. The Democrats are killing their own bill. I just don’t get why the Democrats are trying to kill a bill that will help out millions who have been cut off from getting unemployment checks. I read today that a man in New York died from no heat or living in a home. I did read that Obama is very mad about the guy who died. This is not the America that I once knew. This country needs to wake up and let’s get serious about getting this economy going again. Even with the Democrats holding us unemployed hostage the economy will be tanking and thanks to not voting on this bill. Also a bill needs to be passed for the Tier 5 “99ers”. So, Democrats what are familes with kids going to explain their kids why there was no gifts under the tree this year? Once again this is not the America I once knew. I have been unemployed since February and I’m fighting to get my unemployment check. We went through hell back in June and July with the same problem. That time was the Republicans fault for what happened in the summer and now the Dems are doing the samething as we are approaching Christmas here in the United States of America. I would like to enclose that everyone keep the faith and hopefully a christmas miracle will be made soon for all of the millions like myself who are unemployed.

40. tom smith

December 9, 2010 at 5:07 pm

How many out there unemployed are republican…………….?????????????

Do you back your party??????

What do you have to say about your party?????

Let’s hear it???????

41. Todd

December 9, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Lets all stop making lenghty speeches about the were of it all. Did we forget one simply thing our founding for fathers said! “United We Stand” Lets stop the blame game and simply just do what is right take care of our people!!!!!

42. Dios

December 9, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Protest!
    Protest at the steps of your state’s capital!
    Protest at the steps of your state’s Senate!
    Protest at the steps of the Whitehouse itself!
    Millions of people standing in the National Mall!
    Tent City of all those homeless due to government B.S. IN THE NATIONAL MALL!

They’re NOT listening to faxes, or phone calls, or letters. They need to see your face and feel your emotion. Else nothing is gained at this point.

43. brandon schlueter

December 9, 2010 at 6:18 pm

well since they didnt pass that I imagine crime rates will raise. I dont k now what else to say. People only think of themselves when makeing decisions on other peoples lives, but hey now we’ll see how much money they save when they have to put up more prisons and hire more legal authorities. I always said this i would rather people get unemployment then have someone come to my house and take my things or harm my family. All i’m gonna say is they keep pushing us into a spot of survival. It’s natural we will end up haveing to do what we have to do just to survive. If there is no jobs then people will make there own… whether it be at the cost of yours or there life… think about that… Things might start getting scary.

December 9, 2010 at 6:26 pm

The measure hasn’t been voted on yet… The Senate has agreed to debate the bill, the Dem caucus will hear the bill on the floor if changes are agreed to… if the Senate passes a version of the bill, the House will then have to vote on it (due to the Senate being the upper chamber and all….)

I have faith in the Democratic Leadership in the Senate and as we all know the Senate Republicans have been holding up all bills until they get their extension of tax cuts for the rich also known as, Wealthcare… At least three Senate Democrats have stated they will not support any Tax extender bill unless the unemployed are addressed meaning, even if it does not get completed this year, the Republicans won’t get their rich tax break next year unless they include the unemployed… it is necessary to get the most for everyone (unemployed) out of this bill since, it will be the last bill to get through Congress with the House moving to a Republican Majority next two years… Have faith…

44. Lembach Is Staying!

December 9, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Donald, you’re an idiot. DO you think 14 million people are on the dole because they’re passing up jobs. Most estimates say there are 5 unemployed for every available.

The banks have plenty of money, but they’re not lending it. Why would tax breaks make them any more likely to lend now.

Stop blaming the unemployed. Lay the blame squarely on those companies posting record profits AND continuing to hack jobs. The problem isn’t a lack of capital, it’s that profits now matter far more than any future event, so publicly traded companies say [watch the masked language please] investing in the workforce, let’s get our money now.”

• Donald

December 9, 2010 at 7:45 pm

I think the unemployed either find life better on the government dole or they simply do not have marketable skills/intelligence. As you have so brilliantly pointed out there is plenty of money out there which proves that these unemployed are simply not offering a service that is in demand. Learn to think before you call people names.

• imagehiker

December 9, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Donald – you are an idiot. What you need is, to get laid off. That would shut up your pompous mouth. Right now it is harder for people with skills than those w/out skills to find a job. I have interviewed for positions with the state where over 800 people applied. I interviewed with a private company that had over 400 applicants. No, it is not my fault, yes I am educated. You need to know all the facts before you make assumptions about issues. Obviosly you know nothing of which you speak. You are simply insecure and trying to lord it over than those less fortunate than you. I hope you never marry or have children, because you are scary.

• Hannah

December 10, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Donald,
        It is certainly true that people can be very selfish – taking what they can get from the government. I’m sure alot of those people have alot to say about how unemployment should be extended. But consider, the unemployment rate (as I understand) reflects the percentage of people who are actively looking for work. I imagine that most unemployed people are in a similar situation to me – when the check comes, it’s already gone, to the landlord, the electric complany, the car loan, insurance company, a little to Goodwill because I have to have professional clothes for interviews, and oil companies. How much of my money ends there? What do these people do when there’s no more money coming in???

45. Pastor Dinary

December 9, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Freeze All Politicians’ Wages Until Economy Is Fixed

If unemployment benefits for honest, hard-working, TAX-PAYING Americans need to be cut off to keep the deficit under control, then welfare benefits should also be cut off.

Likewise, all tax breaks should be eliminated, and all politicians’ wages should be frozen until the economy is stable.

We’re all in this mess together.

Freeze All Politicians’ Wages Until Economy Is Fixed

• LabRat23

December 9, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Why freeze their wages? 0 wages, almost all of them are millionaires anyhow.

46. Dee NYC

December 9, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I agree with you WNV Hang in there people something is going to give. The dems right now are just venting it will claim down I hope and they get this done. If not Jan 1 taxes will go up and the unemployed will grow and then we go a rep house oh boy

47. Nicole

December 9, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Was watching the house of representative on tv earlier, they voted on 2 things and the extension was not one of them. As a matter of fact the House dems voted to block the issue in the house. So what does that mean, they don’t even want to discuss it? How about decrease their pay in half, I bet they want to talk about it then. Personally I think they make too much money and they are not doing anything worthwhile. This is really frustrating. Now watching the us senate

December 9, 2010 at 6:59 pm

It was the House Democratic Caucus that voted they wanted revisions to the bill…. not the “House” per se…. let the Senate work on the bill… be patient….

• paula

December 9, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Don’t just cut their pay in half…. freeze it until they get the unemployed their benefits back. Very frustrating indeed.

December 9, 2010 at 9:00 pm

We just learned that the Senate has added the House proposal… So far Senator Bernard Sanders (I-VT) along with Senator Jeff Merkley (D-OR) have already voiced their objection to the measure…. With all Republican Senators behind the measure, it will only take 15 or so Democrats to concur and the measure moves back to the House… the House has already stated they would not work on the measure as it stands…

This is really interesting, developing quickly and at this time it would appear to not aid those that have exhausted their UI benefits… the text of the entire bill isn’t even available yet so… how really knows…

48. WNV Headline News

December 9, 2010 at 7:11 pm

If you haven’t taken our online survey yet, please visit http://worldnewsvine.com/2010/12/millions-face-homelessness-under-current-unemployment-extension-deal-poll/ have your vote counted and opinion heard

49. Why wait?

December 9, 2010 at 7:11 pm

It doesn’t matter who’s voting for what anymore, our government doesn’t work for the American people. There’s a solution to taking back America from our corrupt and out for themselves government, but it’ll take a majority of Americans to accomplish it, unfortunately, there’s too many people still comfortable with their situation and only worried about themselves too. Don’t forget the foundations of our country which was started with the American Revolution.

50. David

December 9, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Thank you for the updates WVN headline news.

December 9, 2010 at 7:12 pm

yw

• Dee NYC

December 9, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Thank you WNV for the updates I was just watching MSNBC and they are really trying to end this bill. All because of giving the rich a tax cut . The dems waited to long for this to happen. Now they want to blame the President for not dealing him nothing. I am a Democratic and mad at the way this was handled and we being held hostage but this.

December 9, 2010 at 7:34 pm

keep the faith is all I can say… like one of our readers commented paraphrase “$800 billion of the employed and $50 billion for the unemployed” he wants a “NO” vote from his reps in DC