Widgetized Section

New York, NY (Nov.19) – Current Federal unemployment benefits are set to expire November 30, 2010. (H.R. 6419) would have provided for an additional three months of unemployment extensions but fell short of the two-thirds needed for passage.

The voting was mixed with some Republicans voting in favor of the measure, and some Democrats voting against. In the end, the jobless lost. Those receiving tiers I, II, III, and IV before November 27th will be Grandfathered for their remaining weeks of eligibility for their tier only, but there will be no new entrants allowed into any tier after November 27th.

The unemployed, including the 99ers, will be recreating a breadline image of the Great Depression beginning at 11:30am in front of the Federal Reserve Bank of NY in downtown Manhattan November 20. The long-term unemployed are living in fear of what will happen to their families going into the holiday season.

Beth, one of the 99ers was mentioned in an earlier articles here at WorldNewsVine stating she would not vote in the midterm elections and she has since confirmed “she did not Vote”. Beth, along with all the unemployed, is frustrated with both the Republicans and the Democrats who are fighting in Congress and not extending benefits to the unemployed.

These benefits are necessary until jobs are created. Beth has three children and writes today “those people who don’t think we need more weeks should live in our shoes,” adding, “I’m sorry but I have 3 small children with medical problems and we could use more weeks. It’s not easy finding a job now and I’ve tried.” Another unemployed wrote, “Unbelievable, I have never felt so sick in my life.”

The Democrats are yelling that the Republicans are voting “NO” to all extensions while one Republican Congressman states, “the Majority Party has repeatedly refused to pay for these extensions. There are ways to pay for unemployment benefits, and help the unemployed, without contributing to the deficit. They fight the unemployed lose.

”Senate Bill (S)3706, The Americans Want to Work Act,” and a bill that would create a tier V for the 99ers, hasn’t been mentioned since Congress came back to Washington. With Congress out until after the Thanksgiving holiday, it is unlikely this bill will be brought to the Senate floor by the end of the year.

The 99ers can only hope a deal will be made that will include them, along with all the unemployed losing their benefits, when Congress returns and negotiations begin to extend the tax cuts due to expire at the end of this year.

High unemployment means poverty for many, an increase in the crime rate, increased suicides, more divorces with the breakup of families. No one in Washington can tell us when the unemployment rate will be below 9% again and until we have jobs, we must have unemployment benefits available or there will be real bread lines.

Brenda Hyatt – WorldNewsVine

Brenda Hyatt Posted by on November 19, 2010. Filed under Breaking News,Economic Recovery,economy,Headline News,National News,News,News and Opinions by Brenda Hyatt,Politics,US Politics,WorldNewsVine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

17 Responses to UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS DENIED | Support the ’99ers’ Nov 20 Federal Reserve Bank Manhattan

1. sharron

November 20, 2010 at 12:18 pm

At this point, so many have given up on any Tiers of jobless benefits. It is simply disgraceful how our American Government has become so heartless to the basic needs of their citizens. May God give us all hope in this great time of need.

• Jack

November 20, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Listen the people vote for the party to finish this country off in mid-election 2010. If you pay attention to China they know American voters keep voting for the party that stands back and does nothing and collects, ship jobs across seas, and provides hefty breaks to corporate interests for themselves. Wake up enough is enough. Until Americans who work today find themselves hurting worse like the unemployed they won’t do anything until it is too late. 2010 election was the finish of this country. Why we vote for the party of NO and just sits back while capitalist society runs wild over the day to day worker is beyond me. I guess we are idiots!

• maschwar

November 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Ironically this situation is a classic example of history repeating itself. The downfall of the Roman Empire began due to the corruption of the Roman Senate. To keep the citizens distracted and entertained, spectacles would be held. Our government is corrupt and we have television with WWF and UFC. Wasn’t the head of like WWE trying to run as a Tea Bagger? A ha, my point exactly – spectacles and corruption.

2. julie friday

November 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I thank its awful that our government is so evil ,we need to come together black ,white,hispanic,asian,whomever,and get this country back.Its not just theres its more ours cause we work to keep this country going. Something needs to happen soon.

3. berta

November 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm

What a mess we are in here in the USA. No correct decisions have been made by either Party. There is such corruption in DC and we, the people have to bear the brunt of it all. Unemployment Benefits are necessary until jobs open up. However, this won’t happen until the next “fight” occurs about creating jobs by giving small businesses some tax advantages. Small business accounts for the majority of jobs here. This is definitely a conspiracy to have the American Citizens become dependent on the Government. Read about Europe and what the entitlements have done to countries. All are broke and declining. Wake up
    America, we are next. Unless……………..unless, you tell me what!

4. hsr0601

November 21, 2010 at 1:58 pm

1. The rebs have chanted : Are you listening to American people ?

The majority of Americans support the idea of extending unemployment benefits to the jobless, according to a poll out from Hart Research Associates.
    Nearly three-quarters of the 802 registered voters surveyed agreed that it was “too early to start cutting back benefits for workers who lost their jobs.”

2. Are the reps listening to America people ?

According to CNN polling, voters said that unemployment is roughly twice as important as all other top issues combined.
    Despite the fact that unemployment remains above nine percent, the incoming House majority has made it clear that jobs and unemployment are not at the top of their to-do list.

3. Are the reps listening to the outcry from their conscience ?

(a). The reps shipped decent-paying manufacturing jobs overseas to lower production costs and eliminated the need to comply with those pesky environmental laws.

(b). The recession caused by the reps wiped out as many as 8.2 million jobs, but they don’t care !

(c). Throwing people out into the streets in the cold this holiday season, the heartless, cold-blooded death panels are having a good night’s sleep.

(d). Never before has Congress decided to cut-off extended unemployment benefits when the jobless rate was so high. And not since the 1930s have so many unemployed job-seekers been out-of-work for so long.

(e). The 154 members who voted against the extension may find their principles are very costly indeed—far more than the $12.5 billion their yea votes would have cost.

4. Are the reps listening to the various reports ?

(a). Ending federal extensions would drain the economy of $80 billion of purchasing power, according to a report by the U.S. Congress Joint Economic Committee. Every dollar spent on benefits increases the gross domestic product by $1.60, the report said.

“Workers receiving unemployment insurance payments are typically cash-strapped and will spend their benefits quickly,” the report said. They spend about $6.5 billion a month on the local economy to buy essentials such as food, clothing and utilities.

“A failure to extend the unemployment insurance program could hamper the fragile recovery,” the report said. It predicts that consumer spending will fall by $50 billion over the next year if benefits are not extended, and that economic growth will be reduced by 0.4 percentage points by February 2011.

(b). Bloomberg News reported that some economists estimate not passing an extension might result in the economy growing 0.4 percent less between December and February, a significant bite when GDP growth has been hovering in the anemic 2 percent rage

(c). The CBO reports that the BEST WAY to spur growth is to increase aid to the unemployed. Other efficient ways to grow the economy is by investing in infrastructure and providing more aid to the states.
    The CBO also says that without extensions in 2009, the poverty rate might be 15.4 percent, more than a full point higher than it is.

(d). A similar report from the California Budget Project said that unemployment benefits put $225 million into the nation’s economy every day in 2010.

Some economists worry that if jobless workers keep receiving extensions, they will stop looking for work. But the dearth of jobs in the labor market makes that point moot, the California Budget Project said.

“Cutting off federally supported unemployment insurance benefits would make unemployed workers more desperate to find work, but it would not make them more likely to find work, because jobs are scarce,” the report said.

At a time when there are five unemployed workers for every available job, it seems inconceivable that these unemployment benefits would be allowed to expire.

5. Are the reps listening to the denouncement over their duplicity, two standards ?

(a). The Bush tax cut for the greedy without providing a way to pay for its costs will add an additional $700 billion to the deficit over a decade,

(b). Republicans have trumpeted the need to extend huge tax breaks to the wealthy and to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Both actions would significantly increase our nation’s debt and lead us down the road to bankruptcy, another major concern for voters.

(c). On the one hand they want to provide $700 billion in tax cuts for the wealthiest, but not pay for them. On the other hand they demand that unemployment benefits for the middle class be paid for. It’s kind of like someone on a diet ordering a Diet Coke and a Big Mac simultaneously.

(d). Back when Bush was pushing his tax cut packages through Congress in 2001 and 2003, supporters said the cuts (which weren’t balanced with spending reductions) would initiate an era in which the American economy would grow so robustly the nation would be running a surplus of more than $5 trillion at the scheduled expiration date. U.S. now runs a deficit of about $1.3 trillion
    In sharp contrast, Former President Bill Clinton left a record surplus, despite the warning of potential economic disaster over tax increase for the wealthiest.

(e). Since the you-fix-the-deficit puzzle went online, there have been more than one million page views, and more than 11,000 posted Twitter messages about the puzzle, most including their own solution.
    The most popular option among all respondents? Reducing the military to less than its size before the Iraq war — included in about 80 percent of the solutions posted to Twitter.

• maschwar

November 21, 2010 at 4:01 pm

What you have here is a classic example of the elected officials not representing the will of the people as they are supposed to do. They represent the will of enterprise and the wealthy 5-10%. That isn’t the will of the people, that is self serving.

• Nate

November 22, 2010 at 12:33 am

It looks like the same country (USSR), that I left 32 years ago, no government body gives a damn about its people. Look what happen to USSR. I guess it is coming for the political prostitutes we elected.

5. DougBJr

November 22, 2010 at 8:48 am

Republicans are the best part of the government…so happy they are in and things are the way they are……….WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! this is what you must of thought when you idiots voted in these no good bastards!!!! All the crying I have seen on posts like these the last year or so I would of thought for sure the repubes didn’t have a shot… proved me wrong, here they are in charge of the house once again!!! Way to go AMERICA it’s all your fault!!!!

I am a 99’er… been out of work since March 2008 and haven’t had a check since May this year.. Thank God my wife still has a good job to keep us a-float… however it’s not fair to her to be working 40+ hours just to pay the bills and not have anything left to enjoy for the time she puts in.

American’s need to wake the hell up and see what’s going on… It’s a shame that all of the voters that voted 2 years ago didn’t vote again this year! If you ask me it was just to get Obama in cause he talks up a good speech…. Alot of good thats doing when he’s being told what to do by the repubes!! Should of voted Hillary Clinton people… at least she had 8 years of running this country already and got us out of debt!!!!

6. Yasmin

November 22, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I am one of those unemployed whom the Republican party considers to be lazy person. I have been out of work for one year and a half now and though everyday , when I leave my daughter at school, I sit in front of the computer and apply and apply for every position available on all the job forums on the internet, and after I apply I go to each establishment which I have applied for and put a face on my application by bringing in my resume and introducing myself. I can honestly say it has not worked. I am still out of a job. I invest 10 hours a day EVERY DAY to finding a job her in Nevada for the past year and a half ( I have a log to prove it). I am desperate and scared. Little by little I have seen everything that I have worked for slowly disappearing. My savings, My bank accounts, My furniture, My hopes and my dreams. My will to live. Thank God I still have a roof over my daughters head but I don’t think I will for long if things keeps going the way they have been. It is now the holidays. Thanksgiving is next week and I have no food to set on that table and even though my 13 year old daughter still believe in God and in Santa Clause ( Believe it or not) Christmas is upon us and no gifts will be under my make believe Christmas tree this year. I don’t even care about that. I will explain to my daughter that there is no Santa and she will have to deal with it , but how can I explain to her that there will be no food, no lights, no heat, no roof over her head, that she no longer can play her violin because Mama can’t pay for it anymore. That truly hurts so deep inside.

I have entered the rank of the 99ers. Which means that I no longer get 290.00 a week ( which is way much less than what I was making as an employed citizen) unemployment check. I have been able to pay the bills and keep a roof over our heads with that money that our government so graciously bestows upon us .
    That being said I no longer exit in the system, just like so many many American whom has worked all their lives as myself and put money into the system. We no longer exits , there are no polls that we are in. Millions of us no longer exist, we and our families are the walking dead.

Last Wednesday, the bill to extend unemployment benefits hit the Congress floor and it was turn down by all the Republicans. This bill did not even touch the help much needed by the 99ers. The bill that would help the 99ers is bill #3706, this has not even been mentioned yet. If they wont even help those you can still collect unemployment, we the 99ers have absolutely no future and no hope. the inhuman treatment that these politicians are handing out to the same American people whom have worked for years and contributed to in this great nation. I , as so many American citizens don’t want to be homeless, we don’t want our electricity to be cut off, we don’t want our children to go hungry. We don’t deserve this. We want jobs. Me myself have worked since I was 17 without collecting anything, and now that we need our government’s help more than ever, they are playing games. We have paid into the system for years to be able to collect when we need it , but yet they won’t do it. They won’t help us.

the Republican want the Dem’s to pay for the extension, Well hell, the money is there, pay for the darn thing. The Democrats already have given in and will continue to give in to the
    Republicans on so many issues. Why are they taken a stand on the middle class trying to put food on the table. I just can’t believe what is going on. I voted for the Democrats, I believed in them. Ha Ha on me.

I am so tired of both parties. Both party are starving Americans. In my opinion our government is no better than countries that execute their own citizens. That is what Americas leaders are doing, little by little starving us. I ask you isn’t that a form of execution. This is cruel. I wonder if this could be categorized as Government Crimes against humanity. Starving little by little more than 4 Million people, if its not, it should be a crime.

The President which can use his Executive power to extend the unemployment insurance and also add a tier 5 to help the 99ers, since this is an emergency situation, He won’t do it.
    So who can we turn to.

May God forgive me for what I am about to wright, but if I still had life insurance ( which I don’t for, since I don’t work anymore) I would wrap my car around a tree, so I can give my
    baby a chance, but if I do that all I would do is just give her another heart ache.

7. bhyatt

November 22, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Yasmin:
    Thanks for sharing your story. I copied your comments and forwarded them to Senator Harry Reid and Congresswoman Shelley Berkley. We are doing everything we can here at WorldNewsVine to convince Washington to extend benefits to all the unemployed.

• maschwar

November 22, 2010 at 5:57 pm

This whole thing is sad. I’ve got no idea why the Republicans are behaving the way they are. I could only guess and say that, in a warped sort of way, they are trying to make the Democrats look ineffective. However, why would the GOP cut their noses off just to spite their face? It makes no sense. In the end, by not extending unemployment benefits they end up harming their own cause, big businesses. The GOP fell asleep during Economics 101 because if the unemployed have no income, they won’t be able to spend money meaning fewer profits and more lost jobs in the retail sector which in turn effects the hospitality industry and the travel industry. Is it just not possible to be able to rationally argue anymore?

8. WalkingDead

November 22, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Yasmin; I copied your story to Senator Lugar, Dan Burton, Mitch Daniels, Representative Scott Reske, and Senator Lanane. These are many of Indiana’s politicians. In Indiana, there are a lot of the wallking dead because it was one of the states that went GOP this election. Most everyone must be millionaires (or at least making over $250,000) here and I just didn’t realize it. I was shocked at the election results.
    I also took the opportunity to send your story to Debbie Stabenow, who is the creator of the “American’s Want To Work” bill supporting Tier V (of which you spoke). I thought your story a most moving and honest example of what many of us are going through.
    I know exactly how you feel like we are the “walking dead”. I will be homeless soon and am too old to survive it, but not old enough for SS. No one is hring our wage group and we make up a large percentage of the 99ers.
    I am blocked from the staffers email list that was published as for the 99ers support because I’ve e-mailed them so much information. They just don’t want to hear the truth about what’s happening to us. So much for that.
    Those of us in the middle of America don’t really have a voice except for on the net and with half of congress/house being so old; they don’t even use a compluter I bet. All employment should have a retirement age, especially those holding so important a job as running our country. But, that’s just another of Washington’s completely non-sensical laws that they’ve voted through on us…
    They want to ignore us.
    But, think of this, if you or I had a job and we had bankrupted the whole company and made it to look like we completely DIDN’T KNOW WHAT THE HELL WE WERE DOING …It would be nice to be able to ignore the consequences and to act like I didn’t do anything at all, wouldn’t it?

• maschwar

November 22, 2010 at 7:02 pm

We would have had enough money in the budget for an unemployment extension but the TSA felt the need to ramp up its security efforts. What is the need for fancy x-ray body scanners if no one can afford to travel? The money spent to pay for that debacle would have been better allocated to those unemployed and facing loss of home. It is difficult to get a job as a security guard or food worker, let alone the higher paying white collar jobs.

9. Norm

November 23, 2010 at 7:19 am

my wife is diabetic, we no longer have medical insurance to help with insulin. We can not afford test strips. a year on unemployment we cant eat right, she is half dosing her insulin, and not testing as much as she needs to. I am currently watching the effects of lack of proper insulin. She is developing very painful neurothopy and goes into the bathroom to cry sometimes. OMG i do look for work. We are in our 50s now, and getting a job is not the same as it was 30 years ago. I am a talented chef. I do ice and fruit sculptures. my food is great. No one seems to want to hire me. this is an awful way to live. we wont be able to swing even the half doses after november 30th

• WNV Headline News

admin

November 23, 2010 at 11:20 am

Norm,

I would try reaching out to: Diabetes-Related Questions
      For diabetes-related questions or to request a diabetes information packet, email us at AskADA@diabetes.org. In order to better serve you, please provide your name and address along with your request.

You can also call our Center for Information and Community Support at 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383). Our hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. EST.

And see what they can do for you… One would think that there is some pharmaceutical company out there or doctor that can help you and your wife locate the lifesaving medicatons she needs regardless of what these heartless bastard Republicans are up to…

Please note, this is simply a suggestion no one on our staff is licensed to make medical decisions, leave all those up to your family physician

10. Hybrid

November 26, 2010 at 2:04 pm

This makes me sick. Congress just oked 4.6 billion to be paid out for dicrimination of black farmers and the Indians for refusing loans, which I feel could have waited, not saying they do not deserve it, but I did not do this to them. If they have that money, regardless of where they get why cannot they help the unemployed. On the internet in the Huffingtonpost.com, where the article states that the funds were paid for , partially,by a surplus fund in nutition programs for women and children. Who do they think will be hurting, children and their parents. Stop the madness and think. If we have extra funds, that most americans don’t know we have why not fund unemployment.
    Disappointed 99er