Widgetized Section

New York City 99er Rally August 12

New York, NY (Aug 11) – Tomorrow, from 12 to 1 p.m., the 99ers have an anticipated rally scheduled to call attention to their plight of no unemployment benefits. Having gone through the emergency unemployment extensions, millions remain jobless although they desperately are seeking employment.

To date, legislative suggestions have been made, and attempts to introduce additional assistance made, however, the unemployment dilemma continues to be a strain on families and individuals willing to work, in a country without enough jobs.

Republican remarks have been made, Sharron Angle, running against Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid comes to mind, that those without jobs have chosen that lifestyle out of sheer laziness. This type of remark is a far cry from the truth and only serves to show how insensitive and out of touch many running for office this November are; so far out of touch that it is a wonder anyone would consider siding with this type of stereotyping.

The 99ers are hoping for a large turn out in a major city bursting with the unemployed. To date, they have attempted to contact Senate offices in the hopes of having on hand people who were elected to represent every citizen – employed or not.

The August 12, 2010, rally will either be a huge success or could be yet another attempt to call attention to a desperate situation that falls flat. Spreading the word has been a priority, particularly online for this upcoming occasion.

Posted by on August 11, 2010. Filed under economy,Money,National News,News,Opinion Editorial,WorldNewsVine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

9 Responses to New York City 99er Rally August 12

1. John Robertson

August 11, 2010 at 3:05 am

Anyone and everyone in the NYC area needs to show up! This is a huge opportunity to get some major focus for those of us without jobs or money! If you live in or near NYC be there! You don’t need to be a 99er just someone who cares about his or her fellow man or woman!!!!!!!!

2. Bren in Kentucky/Nevada

August 11, 2010 at 3:21 am

Thanks for the article. The rally is exciting for all the 99ers. Just wish I could be there but live too far away. Sent my name and state to the guy who is in charge and authorized him to add my name to the flyer that will be distributed at the rally. Ragarding your comment in the article about Sharon Angle’s insensitivity to the unemployed, I’ve never ever seen Republicans so mean. Not a single one has stood up and defended us. I believe a couple have crossed the line along the way for maybe one of the extensions but never had their name attached to the bill. Republicans want the UI benefits paid for is their excuse for not helping the families who need these benefits but, correct me if I’m wrong, emergency unemployment benefits don’t have to be paid for to be approved. How can those Senators and Representatives face their people back in their home states who are out of work, can’t find a job to care for their families, and hear comments that they are lazy.

3. Christione

August 11, 2010 at 9:15 am

Those politicians need a MAJOR wake-call and I hope EVERYONE in NYC and elsewhere call Senator Schumer AND Gillibrand locally to tell them they better be there or a Representative of theirs because OUR votes will be heard in November. This NYC Rally will be a window to how they will perceive us as a MAJOR force or a small whimper. CALL the NY Senators & tell them to be at the NYC Rally tomorrow!

4. Rod & Carolyn Taley

August 11, 2010 at 11:42 am

My husband is a 99’er and hasn’t worked since 2007 due to budget cuts in our county which outsourced his job & many others! His benefits ran out in April and with no job openings & his age, 58, no prospects looming in the future! Thank God that I still have my job, but we still have to borrow money each month from my mom to make it now! How humiliating to have both worked since we were 17, my husband is a Viet Nam Era Vet and we have to borrow money from my 84 yr. old mother who is on Social Security! WHAT HAVE WE BEEN WORKING ALL OUR LIVES FOR? TO BE TREATED LIKE WE ARE THE SCUM OF THE EARTH BECAUSE WE ASK FOR HELP? Which by the way, we paid for UI every day that we worked! I wish that we both had the money & transportation to go to this rally, BUT please know that we will both be there in spirit AND I make sure that all my Sen, & Reps. from Ohio know about these events & news articles!! I copy & send new ones EVERY time they show up! GOD BLESS EVERYONE WHO SHOWS UP TO THIS RALLY TO HELP THE PLIGHT OF THE 99’ERS & ALL OTHERS ON UNEMPLOYMENT AS YOUR BENEFITS WILL SOON BE OVER & ONCE AGAIN YOU WILL ALSO BE IN OUR POSITION!!!

5. sharron perkinson

August 12, 2010 at 9:36 am

Don’t be a No Show if at all possible!! We need everyone that can possibly get there to attend! This may be our last Chance!! God bless us all!

6. DougB

August 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm

This isn’t going to do any good.. I have been watching all of the news channels and there was nothing on this rally! It’s not going to do any good without some kind of media coverage!

Their to worried about passing stupid bills for border patrol

• WNV Headline News

admin

August 12, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I was going to travel to NYC to cover-it however, my guess is that it would be more of a fizzle than a pop….

Do you know anyone at the rally? Have them send there photo’s, cellphone video’s etc to us…

7. DougB

August 13, 2010 at 2:40 pm

And of course again today nothing on the rally was on news!!!! Us 99er’s have slipped thru the dock cracks of the Republicans $400k property!

• WNV Headline News

admin

August 13, 2010 at 3:03 pm

It is sad Doug… However, in all honesty, and keeping my sources confidential and abiding by the journalists code of protecting sources inclusive of facing jail time, the real problem is there are those out on the web, printing stories and giving misguided inaccurate information/instructions to the unemployed thinking they are some sort of legal scholar which, they are not… and literally ticked off quite a few people…. people they should have been turning to for help instead, chose to attack in a tabloid manner that screamed, fanaticism… these are not the times where “ignorance is bliss” and there is plenty of ignorance on the topic being spread….

The nation’s workforce must concentrate their efforts on the GOP…. let the voters know what they are in for IF, the Senate does not re-take the Democratic mandate necessary to put these obstructionists in their place, that is sit-down, shut-up, and listen to the nations workforce and unemployed…

The GOP is honestly planning on more of the same policies that led this nation down this road…. How can they possibly believe that the masses want more factory closings, reduced earnings, and more foreign debt is beyond the imaginary scope of humankind….

I will offer up this one piece of advice, concentrate all your efforts on the GOP let them know this may be the final weeks they will be walking the Senate/House floor….

In closing Doug, like always, good luck with the job hunt, grab what you can take for it is better than nothing, and best of luck to the nation’s workforce as well…