Senate to Vote on Unemployment Extensions Next Week

Washington, D.C. (Jul 14) – The Democratic Leadership held a news conference this afternoon announcing the vote for unemployment extensions will come Tuesday morning after the appointment for Senator Byrd’s replacement is sworn in.

Senator Majority Leader Reid (D-NV), along with Democrats from the House blasted the Republican Party regarding their filibuster against the unemployed. Reid stated the GOP filibuster has prevented more than 2.1 million unemployed Americans from receiving checks, is designated to crater the economy. “They’re betting on failure. They think the worse the economy is come November, the better they’re going to do election wise,” said Reid. “Almost two million people who are long-term unemployed. These are not numbers. They are people.”

To date the House has present several bills to aid the unemployed all to which, have been blocked in the Senate by the Republican Party.

House Democrats during the news conference highlighted statements from the Republicans suggesting that extending unemployment benefits would prevent the unemployed from looking for work. Rep. Shelley Berkley (D-NV) stated, “I’ve heard this absolute nonsense from the other side of the aisle that we better not extend unemployment benefits because people are going to get used to them. As if, people enjoy living on the brink. The insult of that is beyond me.”

Representative Sander Levin (D-MI) pointed out that due to the fact that unemployed American’s receive their checks electronically there are fewer places for reporters to meet and communicate their stories to the public. To make certain the unemployed got a voice, Representative Levin invited several unemployed to come to the Capital and join the Press Conference.

To date, America’s unemployed have been denied every chance to provide for their families by the Republican Party and have relied heavily upon the Democratic Leadership for assistance. It would appear that once again, that leadership would prevail for America’s unemployed.

worldnews Posted by on July 14, 2010. Filed under Economic Recovery,economy,Moderate,News,Politics,US Politics. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

18 Responses to Senate to Vote on Unemployment Extensions Next Week

1. Lisa

July 14, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Here is what isn’t exactly fair to when it comes to the unemployed now. If you applied for unemployment in Dec 2009, you were given 1 year of unemployment. But, if you applied for unemployment in Jan 2010, you are only given 26 weeks, 6 months, which doesn’t seem at all fair to those of us who applied for unemployment in Jan 2010. My unemployment will run out in 2 weeks, in which I will have zero income, unless I find a job. I have gone on several interviews, and I am overqualified. So now what, be homeless????

• Patric

July 14, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Lisa, I stopped taking my unemployment during a six month period where it wasn’t needed for my survival. I regret that decision now. I am still eligible for two tiers of unemployment that I now cannot take, even though my situation has changed and I desperately need it. The Republican games over the unemployment has gotten out of hand. I only pray that come election time, the millions of unemployed in this nation remember that the losses that we have all experienced is due directly to the Republican blockade of benefits we have paid into for most of our working lives.

• Sandra

July 14, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I have been unemployed for an year as stated above by Lisa I have also had interviews that state I am overqualified. I am a single mother and due to the unemployed benefits do not qualify for housing assistance that’s another issue. If the benefits are not extended I will also be in the streets and my child also. I have looked hard for a job and no luck we as working and taxpaying Americans need help as all the other countries get aid. Aid our country first.

• charlie

July 14, 2010 at 5:26 pm

That’s not exactly true, those of us who signed up for unemployment in December, are also out of money, the extensions did not include us….ps..Although, I agree with your sentments and feel your pain.

• Volvo

July 14, 2010 at 5:53 pm

If the senate doesn’t vote this into law next Tuesday, then you might be just that. My benefits ran out March 28th of this year. If it wasn’t for my fiancee, who is lucky to still have her job, my butt would be on the street.

2. Deborah

July 14, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Let’s hope they mean what they say NOW! Get it passed Senators!!! The longer you take the worse it gets!!!!

3. laura

July 14, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I feel bad for all the unemployed. I am glad that the republicans will know what that means come November. I could careless if it were only me that this affected but when you leave my children without with my children it ticks me off. The republicans will NOT get my vote. You bailed out banks but you won’t bail out ACTUAL people, you are scum!

4. newhitmarketing

July 14, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Where’s the jobs???
    Please pass this thing, people are starving and homeless.
    It’s easy to have a job and cast stones at the unemployed during this rocky economy.
    Be thankful you have a job and please don’t pass judgement, or karma will eat you for lunch someday soon.
    It’s hardcore out there these days!

5. Jack Kohler

July 14, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I am about to graduate Nursing School after having to go back to school at age 51. I am passing and take nclex in August. I need the extention to be able to even just look for a position. I lost my house with Katrina, one year before I lost my first house related to spinal surgery. I do not want to lose my house for the third time in 6 years. I have held on and need a hand up not a hand out. We need congress to pass an extention for those who never stop working. I am a Veteran and seems there is no help for people trying to help themselfs or falls short of getting the job done. I am grateful to being able to pass Nursing School, just need 4 more weeks.

6. Gail

July 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Actually, this is liberal bunk. The Republicans have proffered a number of unemployment extension bills that were better for us, the unemployed, than what the Democrats are trying to give us but the DEMOCRATS voted them all done. Why don’t you tell the whole truth? The Democrats are USING us, dragging this out as long as possible so they can keep telling the world that they care and the Republicans are obstructing extensions – no, the Republicans are stopping more deficit spending. It needs to end. The Republicans would pass a paid for UI benefits extension today if Harry Reid and the Dems would put one of their bills up for a vote. Don’t keep buying into this liberal crap. The Democrats are desperate for votes so they are playing politics with our lives. The Republicans finally got a clue and realized the spending has got to stop or employers will never start hiring again. This administration and Democrat run congress have turned a bad recession into at least a double dip recession or perhaps a depression by spending on – squat. Look around you. Now they intend to raise taxes, destroy our energy industry and make us totally dependent on foreign oil, sending millions more jobs overseas, and giving amnesty to illegals so they can take more of our jobs with impunity. Sorry … I am unemployed and lost my benefits weeks ago, but I hope the Republicans hang in there and get the Democrats to stop fillibustering THEIR Republican UI extension bills. Once we get rid of the Dems maybe we can get back to turning this economy around. Just hope that I and all of us can hang on that long. Not lookin’ too good for me or many of you, I know. But I don’t want to destroy my country more with Democrat policies just to help me.

• Brionna davis

July 15, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Woman please! You maybe lucky making it without any Unemployment benefits. I’ve been unemployed since Oct.2009 and I haven’t found a job yet. How the hell you can say hold out crap you hold out! I have 3 kids and I need my benefits. So, I think you need to keep your Replublican butt comments to yourself due to the way people are hurting now with no income at all coming in. So, in the meantime people please pray that they pass the bill.

7. stephanie mims

July 14, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I applied for benefits in January 2010, and was given until 12/10 which will end. From my understanding my state (Colorado) gives us 73 weeks, because we are not a double figure unemployed state. If you are in a double dip state, then you can receive 99 weeks. THATS IT.
    But by the time Dec gets here, we will be in the double digits.

8. Pingback: Tweets that mention Senate to Vote on Unemployment Extensions Next Week | Breaking News WorldNewsVine -- Topsy.com

9. Karen

July 14, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I hope this does get passed. Sadly though, it’s probably going to be too late for many unemployed Americans. They will already be without power, telephones, food and a place to live. All that makes it even harder to compete for the few jobs that are available.

I think what saddens me most of all, is the comments I’ve been hearing from many Americans. There is a total state of denial, apathy and oblivion out there. Many think it’s just a matter of getting off the couch,walking down the street and a job will jump out and grab you. They think that the unemployed are just plain lazy, don’t want to work, take drugs and just want to live off other people’s hard work.

Reality, from the perspective of an unemployed person, is so much different.

For many, life will never be back to what it was before they were laid off. Some will become ill because of stress related illnesses. Some will die, either through stress or suicide. Some will lose relationships. Some will lose hope.

In someways I am surprised there has not been marches or demonstrations. Perhaps that is an illustration of how beaten down and hopeless, many of the unemployed feel. It’s hard, when you’ve been unemployed for a long time and got a stack of job denial letters, to find the energy to keep looking for work, let alone protest your situation.

I’m sad at the lack of compassion .. the death of the American dream and what America stands for…

I hope unemployed Americans, their friends and their families, do remember this, come November..

• Lynda-Marie Greer

July 14, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Karen…what you’ve touched on is so true. I doubt that Congress considers the long term effects resulting from being unemployed. Many of us are depressed beyond belief because, at least in my life experience, the job market has never been this horrendous. There are those out there already homeless. Any employer I know will not hire if you don’t have a physical address.Many of these employers do credit checks. Does Congress think that the employers will overlook this issue? It won’t matter to an employer if you credit took a nose dive because of a long stretch of barely existing with unemployment compensation.The regular bills can’t get paid if you have to sweat the next meal for your family. How about gas to get out there and job hunt? Well, if the car was repossessed you are at the mercy of the internet and what very little is in the newspapers. If people are not already doing so, the next step is state assistance. How exactly is Congress going to cope with over-burdened already stretched to the limit county assistance, food stamps and medical care? As people are repeatedly passed by in the job market for onee reason after the next, mental health problems will escalate and counseling hot lines will be hearing a lot of us getting ready to just give up on life.Most of the people I know in our situation, have been doing their best to keep their heads up. It’s getting very old very quickly. Stopping the unemployment compensation was just the tip of the iceberg. Charitable agencies, state assistance, and hospitals will become strained to the breaking point with the influx of this new sub-population created by the years of political buggery. Even if unemployment funding is restored, the damage has been done; people will be paying for the loss of jobs in this country and the the repercussions of selfish, money and power hungry decisions made by the government.I’m here with the rest of ‘we the unemployed’, instead of ‘we the people’. This is history that needs to be remembered and documented. May those in Congress carry with them to their graves the weight of each and every life..man woman and child that has been made to pay for their power driven, unconscionable acts.

10. Brenda

July 15, 2010 at 9:47 am

My Faith, Hope and Prayers are with GOD that HE will step in and see to it that H.B.Extension for Unemployment is passed ASAP and those checks start coming!! HE is the ONLY ONE WE can DEPEND on in any CRISIS!!
    It is totally clear that there are too many Senators and OUR OWN President that don’t CARE that we lost our jobs, can’t pay our bills, feed our familes. Our country is already in debt..but they could care less about the US Citizens….WE SHOULD COME 1ST!!!!!they BAIL OUT EVERYTHING ELSE BUT US!!!! They don’t care that far to many have already lost their Homes, Cars and Insurance..and many more are about to!! And for those who have or had 401(k)…no break on your income tax..nope you gotta pay that extra so called “income” plus that extra 10%tax..OUCH!!!!!!!so ontop of everything YOU OWE THE IRS MONEY!!!!!!!!!! AND THEY WANT IT WHEN YOU FILE…..COST ME $2K THIS YR!

I do believe in karma…That what comes around goes around..we may not see it, but God will see to it!

11. Deborah

July 15, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Ok, Senators! Get it done! millions are waiting! Hopefully Tuesday is the day! No more stalling!

12. Bikergirl

July 15, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Those damn Republicans are such deamons! They are so bold, they don’t even care! They don’t even try to cover it up! See ya in hell! Try not to take over there either!