Widgetized Section

GOP | Unemployment extensions unworthy while super wealthy prosper

By: T. Cahill

Washington, D.C. (Jun 22) – This afternoon’s Senate session, still in Round 2, found Senators Whitehouse (D-RI) and Sherrod Brown (D-OH) berating Republicans for ignoring “humans” in favor of corporations, drug companies, and the filthy rich with their estate tax exemptions. In their speeches in defense of the millions of American’s depending on their country to do the right thing and give them their unemployment extensions and benefits, the sheer disdain for the Republicans shown by Whitehouse and Brown would make any American proud.

Senator Whitehouse stated, “We have an entire party that is dedicated to preventing working people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own as a result of this economic melt down, preventing them from getting unemployment insurance. It has actually already expired and we’re trying to backfill it for that period.”

However, the Republicans protect the “super rich”. The priorities of Republicans are, and have always been, one sided. Siding with the rich is what they do. The GOP had no trouble at all running up a $9 trillion deficit, for their own priorities including the war in Iraq, favoritism to drug companies and corporations, and, in particular, the super wealthy. Now that it is the underdog, it is a completely different GOP story.

Whitehouse then stated that Republicans are “…completely satisfied with an oil tycoon worth $9 billion having his estate go completely tax free to his heirs”. Each member of the Duncan family, while grieving we are sure, are now billionaires in their own right. Each billionaire will pay no estate tax to the government. Zero. “If it was fair”, the family would, under normal circumstances be required to pay the government between $3 and $4 billion in taxes on that $9 billion.

“If you have been listening on the floor,” continued Senator Whitehouse, “You have heard a lot of critique about what a terrible procedure reconciliation is when it’s used to do anything to help regular Americans. But when it comes to cutting the estate tax so that the Duncan family can have a $9 billion estate passed tax free, that’s a perfectly fine use of reconciliation, according to our Republican friends.”

The kicker was Senator Whitehouse’s statement, “And while we’re in this period of economic turmoil, while we’re in this period where one party is trying to keep regular workers from getting access to unemployment insurance in the middle of this economic disaster, they are all for an unpaid for zeroing out of the estate tax so that a $9 billion estate passes completely tax free.”

During Senator Brown’s speech, he quoted a statement made by Warren Buffett in 2007 where Buffett made it clear that the wealthy have “been on a space ship” (implying super-speed growth in wealth) whereas the average working person has for the past 20 years “gone no where”. In other words, the hardworking, everyday people of this country who support it through sweat, labor, and taxes are still living at the same level, the same lifestyle equivalent as they did 20 years ago.

Republicans would “rather protect the super wealthy in our society than take care of this unemployed worker,” stated Senator Brown holding up a large photograph of an “everyday” woman filing for unemployment to feed and help support her family.

The Republicans are famous for “deficit concerns” only when it applies to those it most impacts – the unemployed.

At 5:11 EDT, Senator Brown wrapped up his remarks recognizing that the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid was on the floor. WNV will be announcing word of the outcome of any further action with regard to H.R. 4213, when the missing Senators are hunted down, returned to the floor, and with luck vote to do the right thing, help Americans.

Posted by on June 22, 2010. Filed under From the Left,National News,Opinion Editorial,Politics. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

20 Responses to GOP | Unemployment extensions unworthy while super wealthy prosper

1. Ruth Morse

June 22, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I can hardly breath I am so terrified. I know that I am not alone. I beg these people to help us.

• Janice

June 23, 2010 at 9:31 am

What is this county coming to? I just finished school for Medical Billing in hopes to find a job…A job! I have worked in the construction industry since 1985 as a Project Coordinator. This is what happened yesterday with a Temp Agency, she said, “you haven’t worked since end of 2008, no experience in medical billing, I really don’t have anything for you, jobs are are far and few. The job I was interviewing for was given to a person that has a job and is switching. People that have a job has a better chance of getting another job, become they are considered employable.

• Shelby

June 23, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I am soon behind you Janice and I am scared. I have worked various clerical, administrative, type setting, etc since 1998 when I finished college. My most recent job I was at for 5 years when I was laid off last July. After a couple months of searching to no avail, I went back to school through a wonderful vocational program for Medical Office Assisting on Administrative level. I have also been doing volunteer work for three blood centers and am about to start some with the Veterans hospital. Taking more online classes and trying to get clinical skills to boost my chances
        Yet now I know I am going to hear:
        1. Want more experience, you don’t have paid experience just volunteer
        2. For old line of work I have been out awhile and that work is few and far between
        3. The work I was already too experienced or “overqualified” or a flight risk for I am even more so as I furthered my education and showed a change of focus. If Target didn’t want me before, now I have spent about a year working(albeit volunteer) and studying in medicine
        Yet I march on trying to be positive and look. But they want to suddenly cut me off? And while in that training I was not to look for full time work or work that conflicted with my 8-4 school schedule. So in honesty I have only been looking even less than others. What am I to do, and how does a person that is trying everything not lose it all most importantly their will and faith to go on? I am fighting like a mad woman I tell you but it is hard.
        I have always valued independence and hard work. However I have also learned sometimes the bravest and hardest thing to do is admit you are human and need help! I can’t do this alone. My option should be clear, but instead live me to my primitive devices? Which I do believe will kick in. Especially with people that have children.

2. Richard Schaefer

June 22, 2010 at 6:46 pm

The damn republicans who don’t give a rats ass about the people on main St. should all be removed from office and sent to hell.

3. Jess

June 22, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I am going to lose the only thing I have left for my children, our home! What are we to do? I apply for jobs but so does half the town and still no sign of hope.Does anyone know where to go for help?

• just like the 1980's

June 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm

U need to look up your local welfare office. They will give u food stamps and maybe housing assistance. Not enough to pay a mortgage though. U will have to walk away from that, but u probably will get enough to keep a roof over your heads.

4. Hector Lopez

June 22, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I read an article where a senator from Utah stated that most of the people receiving unemployment were people who spent the money on drugs. That is the biggest B.S. I was a plant manager at a Natural Gas Compressor plant and I slowly had to lay-off at no fault 98% of my people(321 to be exact) . Most of the people who I was forced to layoff were honest hard working people. Anyhow finally the company shutdown and I lost my job . I have sent emails and resumes to several companies in a whole lot of different industries and have had no luck. If this moron thinks that most of us use this help for drugs hes totally wrong. I am already starting to use up my savings to survive. I feel horrible for the people who live paycheck to paycheck . I pray to god that the senate passes this bill for all those people.

5. Joann

June 22, 2010 at 8:51 pm

It is a shame that we have our lives in the hands of people without humanity. This is another article that shows me how the confidence I had in government slowly dies, Shame.

6. Your Momma

June 22, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I am one of those paycheck to paycheck people. I am single mom of two with no child support coming in. My benefits expired on june 5th and starting this week, one by one, everything is getting shut off. The last thing being electric on july 10th and that is with an extension. I have no money and cannot believe they are just having this big huge pissing contest instead of doing what needs to be done. END THIS NOW!! EXTEND BENEFITS NOW!!!

7. FedUp!

June 22, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I have been a registered Republcan for over 20 years. I went to town hall and changed my party to Democrat today. I will vote out the Senator in my state that opposed the Bill to extend unemployment extension. They have become the party of ‘NO’ and right now NO means no food on the table, no money for mortgage, no money for electric bill. Republicans are sooooo out of touch with the poor working slob!

8. Dee

June 23, 2010 at 9:38 am

This is an absolute disgrace !!!! My husbands unemployment stopped without warning. We are trying so hard to stay in our home. At least if we knew there was another extension, we could try to sell our furniture. I can’t sleep, I cry daily.
    I am so scared.

Our heat & hot water were shut off before last winter started. It gets very cold in Massachusetts. Huddled around a space heater, now the electric bill is out of control. Not only, was my husband laid off through no fault of his own, his boss laid him off while he was lying in a coma of the ICU unit after a heart attack.
    HOW CRUEL IS THAT???? With the sudden loss of unemployment benefits, we also lost the Cobra insurance. My husband has about 2 weeks left of medication.

I will never forget the games these senators are playing.

• Carolyn

June 23, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Dee,

My heart truly goes out to you! My husband lost his job March, 2007. Fortunately (?) we live in Ohio which has one of the higher unemployment rates and he did get the 99 weeks, but we have been living off my paycheck for the past 2 1/2 months and that is only after I was put back on 40 hours per week after being dropped to 25 hours last Nov. through this March. We are also fortunate that he is a veteran and can use the VA for his doctor’s visits & medications. I, of course, have no insurance of any kind! I was INCENSED to learn that one of our Senators from my part of Ohio, George Voinovich, a Republican OF COURSE, is one of the major NO voters of the Unemployment Extensions and made sure I fired off an e-mail yesterday letting him know how I felt about that and hopefully how other registered Republicans in Ohio will vote him out when he is up for re-election! Thankfully, we have Senator Sherrod Brown (D) from Ohio fighting so diligently for us!!! H.R. 4213 will have no effect on our plight as their would have to be an extension to Tier IV or a Tier V for that to happen, which I WILL NOT hold my breath for even though a petition containing THOUSANDS of signatures was presented to Congress concerning a Tier V extension. But my heart breaks for everyone who are losing their homes, cannot feed their families, having their utilities turned off, cannot get their medications, etc. or what has ALWAYS

9. Tom Joad

June 23, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I just sent a letter of thanks to Senators Whitehouse and Brown for their advocacy on the part of the longterm unemployed. I urge you to do the same.

Dear Senator Whitehouse,

I would like to thank you for standing up for the unemployed of this country who are everyday struggling with the stresses of joblessness created by our current economic recession. Advocates like you make me proud to be a Democrat. I have been very frustrated with those Democratic members of the senate who have aided the Republicans in delaying a much needed emergency unemployment extension.

The long term unemployed in this country are beginning to lose heart. I have been unemployed for almost two years and as a fifty year old architect, I don’t have much hope of returning to work in an industry that has been decimated in the last two years.

Like many of the long term white collar professionals who are out work, I have tried to maintain and build on my skillset. However, training, certification and classes cost money and I am out of money. I have gone through my savings and maxed out my credit cards. Not to go out for dinner or for vacations, but to put food on the table, to keep vehicles running, to keep myself running (without insurance healthcare is prohibitive) I am one of the lucky ones, though. I have friends and family that will be there for me and I don’t have a family. How people with children are facing these times is beyond me. I can only guess at the lows a father who cannot provide for his family must go through.

Senator, I thank you for your support and for caring about this issue. Although Senator Hatch may think that we unemployed are doing drugs, we are actually looking for jobs, training ourselves, trying to stay hopeful in what is beginning to look like a hopeless situation. Rather than drug testing perhaps mental health care should be provided to the millions of Americans who, only after working hard to get ahead, find themselves hanging from the last thread of a fraying social safety net.

Sincerely,

Tom Joad
    Unemployed Voter

10. Greg

June 23, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Orrin Hatch (R) Utah had a solution- proposed a bill to require all citizens collecting unemployment to submit to drug testing- there must be SOMETHING wrong with folks who don’t want to work!!! The Fleecing of the Sheeple is nearly complete!

11. Taradacktyl

June 23, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Sweet Jesus.. I HATE REPUBLICANS. How long are we going to sit and take this? If only the President would channel FDR rather than try to build a “team of rivals!”

When are the protests? The Teatards swarm like Dick Armey’s own flying monkeys when our government works to join the rest of the civilized world and tries to ensure that a person won’t go bankrupt or die for lack of affordable care if they get sick… but here we sit a beaten people… pleading for sociopathic Repugs to FINALLY care about the “small people.”

Time to face reality about REPUGS (and Corporate sponsored Dems like Blanch Lincoln) THEY’RE JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU!

They are trying to turn America into a Feudal state where the rich run everything and everyone knows their “place.”

THAT has always been their goal… and they have been quite successful… granted they have all the propaganda outlets money can buy, but one day they won’t be loud enough to drown out the miserable reality of 99% of the population. THEN the Teatards will know that they have been PLAYED and their wealthy overlords who laugh at them will have already disappeared behind the walls of their gated communities.

Let me know when the march on Washington is.

12. Michael r

June 24, 2010 at 9:45 am

We need to insist our Senators take a drug AND sanity test…they are nuts…and they don’t care…but they will when millions get to the point of having nothing to spend, so bills don’t get paid,taxes don’t get paid,and it brings the economy down…VOTE THESE CLOWNS OUT!

13. Doris Sigg

June 26, 2010 at 6:47 am

I read in the Akron Beacon Journal that the final bill was stripped of unemployment benefits but kept in tax breaks for oil companies and tax incentives for other big businesses. I would think that a bird would have more brains, but our Senators are withholding money from soon-to-not-be consumers and giving it to the wealthy. I’m afraid they are going to incite a revolt on the streets. This is getting very scary to watch. Last time they failed to act at all, and the President had to step in, as if he needed more shit laid on his doorstep. What are they thinking? It’s gone beyond lack of guts; it’s pure insanity.

14. Pingback: All Around the World News

15. Greg

June 30, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Concerning last week’s Republican blockage of jobless claim extensions. I have been a Republican for 30 years; I have also been unemployed for more than 26 weeks. I do not support my Party’s decision to stop the claims for people who have been unemployed for less than 99 weeks. My area is still suffering from 18% unemployment. I hope this matter can be resolved soon:
    “Americans should not fall victim to Republican obstruction at a time of great economic challenge for our nation’s families,”

16. Wilmington SEO Experts

August 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Great tip…my pops always made our outdoor birds candybars for the winter. Try rolling balls of chunky peanutbutter rolled in millet, corn and sunflower seeds. They simply cant get enough of the stuff. happy birding