By: T. Cahill

National (May 6) – With the first week of May drawing to a close and no mention about any action to be taken to extend unemployment for those currently in the system, things look dire. For those who have long since run out of unemployment extension benefits, money of their own paid into the system when they had jobs, anger and despair continues to breed.

Sarah Smith writes, “I am a 99er. The congress said it does not want to set up a welfare system and that another tier will cause people not to look for a job. I was sent a letter from unemployment that said if you can not find work you may be eligible for welfare.” Welfare is not what Sarah seeks nor it is the dream come true for millions of others. They want to work, they want their job back or a new job – any job. Her frustration is the expression of all the millions of unemployed whether still within the structure of receiving weekly checks or not.

She continues, “I have worked for 22 years and this was my first time collecting unemployment. I do not think anyone who is on unemployment enjoys being on it. My unemployment was not even enough to pay my rent. I had to move out of my 3 bedroom house into a one bedroom apartment.”

But her story, like so many, does not end there. The amount of unemployment she received was not even enough to pay the rent and her electric and water. Compounding her dire straits is the worry about how she is suppose to feed her child. Sarah, along with millions of others, feels deserted by her own government. “I would love to have a job,” she declares, “So if you can not give us a Tier V I suggest Congress finds a job for each us. It seems like they are living in another world.”

Her voice rings out the cry of all Americans abandoned by those on Capitol Hill, “The unemployed workers did not cause this! They did and now we have to pay for their mistakes, while they have no worries about where their next month’s rent is coming from. We get cut off while Wall street gets billions of our dollars. It is wrong!”

John is another wants-to-work individual who is reaching the end of his unemployment. Not yet a member of the rank and file “99ers”, he has at least the small comfort of a minimum check each week. John is organized to the point of almost obsessiveness. Color-coded folders, high profile resumes, follow up phone calls, requests for interviews and a background filled with construction awards from prominent companies, John searches the nation daily in the hopes of finding a job, any job, any where. With a family, he is more than willing to move or commute. Yet all his hard work, which he will continue, goes unanswered. He cannot find a job anywhere.

The trouble is two-fold. The inability of Congress, or their unwillingness to help, coupled with jobs that do not exist and are not being created as promised. Against their will, millions have been forced into a system they never tapped into before; people who have stood on their own two feet their entire lives, yet through the fault of greed and neglect of administrations past and present are the one’s made to suffer.

Congress cannot turn their backs to this situation. Jobs will not magically appear. People do have a breaking point. It is time for those on the Hill to look out their windows, answer their telephones, pick up their faxes, and read their emails. Things are not getting better, unless you are already rich. Will this country end up with two classes? Rich and dirt poor? Will our government allow this to happen? These are serious questions and many millions of unemployed have long since started formulating their own answers.

Posted by on May 6, 2010. Filed under Human Interest,Opinion Editorial. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

28 Responses to Tier IV and 99ers | Anger boils as Congress continues to ignore plight of unemployed

1. Regina Alexander

May 6, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Our Government is about to bail out Greece with Billions of
    dollars we don’t have.
    Here is a link to all the Network/Cable Television

Hit them hard with your emails, ask why have the unemployment tier
    5 issue has not been address.

2. Regina Alexander

May 6, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Our government is a disgrace. Millions out of work and they play
    games with peoples lives. I’m embarrassed to be a part of this
    Country. I will never believe or invest in this system again. When
    I do start earning money I will invest overseas.
    The White house just commented on The Times Square Attempted
    Bombing saying ‘We will not be terrorized, we will not live in
    fear,we will be vigilant we will work together and we will protect
    and defend the country we love to insure a safe prosperous future
    for people ‘. What a bunch of hypocrites, when they watch
    Americans starve and lose their homes from the very ones who claim
    to serve and protect us. We are more in fear of dying from our own
    Government than terrorist!

3. Regina Alexander

May 6, 2010 at 8:44 pm

TIME TO HIT THE STREETS PEOPLE!! WE ARE NOT BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY!! WE HAVE BECOME CONGRESS JOKE!! WE NEED TO HIT THE GOVERNMENT OFFICES AND LET THE WORLD KNOW WHAT A DISGRACE AMERICA IS!! EUROPE HAS DONE IT, NOW SO MUST WE.
    THEY HAVEN’T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE OUR LETTERS AND FAXES. IT’S TIME TO MAKE A LOT OF NOISE, GET ORGANIZED AND HIT THE STREETS BEFORE THE STREETS BECOME OUR PERMANENT HOMES!!

4. Issa

May 6, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Bravo. Well, said. I hope everyone is keeping the faith because together, we’ll get our extension. By the way, Paladinette says she’s being asked by Senate staffers when will the fax attack end! It ends on Friday at midnight, but I think we ought to discuss repeating it soon. Thanks for your continued support.
    Issa

• Beverley waterbury

May 6, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I truely believe these elected officals who are balking at giving any further extensions are mot really concerned about the 99er’s being even able to vote come Novembers elections. How many homeless or welfare recipients do you see at the polls? They are far to down drodden and filled with despair to vote. Then there are those who will ultimately take thier lives as mny already have but the medias lips remain silent regarding these satistic’s.

As far as wat one person stated about us bailing out greece that won’t happen. This about countries who borrowed money from aother countries and over thier ability to pay it back. just as mny other countries encluding us. Greece had to make major cuts and raise taxes in hopes to not fall. The people are fighting against these cutbaks and the raise of taxes during already difficult times..
      Does this ring a bell? This could and probaly will quicky flow though Europe and
      eventually to us. When and if this happens the “recovery plans? will have gone right down the toliet.

Tomorrow will be another tough day for the Market adn unless Europe acts quickly
      what we have alresdy been through will seem like a “walk in the Park” Fasten your seatbelts and get ready for the rollercoaster ride.

• CATHERINE

May 7, 2010 at 1:28 pm

OBAMA FILLED THE IMF COFFERS WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS, WE GAVE 139 MILLION TO THE GREECE BAILOUT, MONEY THAT BELONGS TO US AS PAST TAX PAYERS………….OBAMA AND THE MAJORITY OF DEMOCRATS ARE GOING TO BAIL OUT SPAIN AND PORTUGAL NEXT. IF THE DEMOCRATS COULD DO THE STIMULUS AND HEALTHCARE BILLS WITHOUT A REPUBLICAN SIGNATURE HOW COME HE CAN’T DO THE 99ers

• TONY

May 6, 2010 at 11:36 pm

I DON;T THINK IS GOOD IDEA TO STOP THIS FRIDAY, WE SHOULD CONTINUE THE WHOLE MONTH,UNTIL THEY GET MAD OF RECEIVING OUR FAXES AND EMAILS AND DECIDE TO DO SOMETHING FOR US.

• carole

May 11, 2010 at 3:05 pm

amen :}

5. Paladinette

May 6, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Another GREAT article by someone who actually GETS IT!! Thank you!!!

6. Duane Sconce

May 6, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I do not know how those republican senators can sleep at night or face them selves in a mirrow

• IIDoves

May 7, 2010 at 12:51 am

The Devil doesn’t have a conscious and sleeps real well.

7. Eileen Fowler

May 6, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Wow, someone finally gets what we’re going thru…Just reading this article brightened my spirits.Its so depressing that nobody really gives a damn where us “Americans” will end up.They are more interested in begging and pleading with everyone to send a donation whatever you can afford to help other countries.We the U.S.citizen’s need more help right here at home…What about us who have nothing to feed their families and have no answers for bill collectors and landlords? For the first time in my life, I voted this last election.The way I’ve seen things going down lately, it will also be the last time I vote for anyone..unless you can help your own..

8. TimOregon

May 7, 2010 at 1:36 am

Hit them hard with your emails, ask why have the unemployment tier
    5 issue has not been address.

Amen! We need Tier 5.

9. IIDoves

May 7, 2010 at 6:09 am

TIME TO HIT THE STREETS PEOPLE!! WE ARE NOT BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY!! WE HAVE BECOME CONGRESS JOKE!! WE NEED TO HIT THE GOVERNMENT OFFICES AND LET THE WORLD KNOW WHAT AB DISGRACE AMERICA IS!! EUROPE HAS DONE IT, NOW SO MUST WE.
    VOTE TO MARCH AND MAKE SOME NOISE!!!

10. just wondering

May 7, 2010 at 7:11 am

go to this site and listen to the video

11. just wondering

May 7, 2010 at 7:14 am

PLEASE GOOGLE THE NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY

EMAIL THEM TO IMMEDIATELY INTRODUCE A BILL FOR A TIER 5-

OR FEEL THE RESULTS IN THE FALL ELECTIONS

HAVE YOU CALLED SHERROD BROWN YET?

202-224-2315

12. Janet

May 7, 2010 at 7:32 am

Thank you for seeing things how they are, EXACTLY how they are!

13. Ryan

May 7, 2010 at 9:12 am

Meanwhile Obama is salivating to throw 39 billion dollars at Greece, who doesn’t even want the money. How dare the IMF expect us to pay that much to Greece……we are in a recession for God’s sake. Did no one give Obama the message? where is our help from the world??? I am about to be homeless, and there is no talk of help for me, they won’t even adress the issue…..yet almost 40 BILLION to Greece??? Is this actually happening? This has got to be a nightmare…..Get ready for a revolution if this BS continues from our ELECTED officials.

14. Tara

May 7, 2010 at 9:45 am

99ers!
    we need to start contacting the media! local news, newspapers, whatever to get the attention we need!

a lot of these local news reporters have twitter & facebook accounts! spread the word, let your stories be heard!! seriously!

FAXING & EMAILING POLITICIANS ISN’T WORKING!

15. just wondering

May 7, 2010 at 9:57 am

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH SHERROD BROWN’S OFFICE.

He is trying to include a Tier 5 in the Financial Stability Act. Call him with your encouragement! 202-224-2315. Thank God for his help.

CONTACT YOUR REPRESENTATIVES! CONTACT THE NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

Figures just released puts the number of 99ers alone…at 6.7 MILLION!

That is many, many VOTES people…LET THEM HEAR FROM YOU!!!

Has to be done NOW, not weeks from now!

16. Hire Me So. Cal>

May 7, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I know this person that was saved by his pacemaker 3 times and has told me that the other side was calming and when he returned back to earth he goes throgh depression.Sounds good to me. But if I took my time card and clocked out myself I probably wouldn’t get there. So I will keep fighting, contacting media, sighning petitions and our congress. While I look for gainfull employment. More weeks on tier IV (4) weeks anything. Or add a tier V 12.6% Unemployment in California I lose my home at the end of this month that is my May day! Good luck my prayers are with you all.

17. Hire Me So. Cal>

May 7, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Mayday Mayday losing my home by the end of May one more domino about to fall Maybe time to take my timecard and glockout. But can’t do that! Suicide won’t get good results. So I will keep fighting! Signing those petitions, contacting our representitives and televised media organizations. If iI was sure I would make it to the otherside I would go there. But not sure.

18. BT

May 7, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Came across this link just now from MSNBC. It appears that they are looking for stories from people who have been unemployed for a year or more to do a story on long term unemployment. Here is the link to the form you have to fill out and send to them:

Make sure you mention(highlight) a Tier 5.

19. Ashado

May 7, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Where are all of these jobs they have reported for April? I’d sure like to know. What I do know is that there are thousands upon thousands of unemployed in America who have exhausted their unemployment. The vast majority of these people are middle age men and women, dads and moms, who have worked their entire life only to be laid off due to no fault of their own. Now they go without. Yet today I heard a rumor that the United States might help bail out Greece. Another kick in the teeth to the unemployed in our own country. The United States is always one of the first to send money to countries who have had the misfortune of natural disasters; and now the down fall of the Greek economy. While the unemployed American’s barely get noticed at all. DONT YOU THINK IT IS HIGH TIME OUR GOVERNMENT HELP OUR OWN AMERICAN PEOPLE? DONT SEND A DIME TO ANOTHER COUNTRY WHEN THERE ARE PEOPLE RIGHT HERE AT HOME WHO ARE SUFFERING AND BEING IGNORED. HOW DARE YOU!!! A lot of us can’t wait until elections roll around again, we may be unemployed but we still vote. MAYBE THEN YOU’LL HEAR THE VOICES OF AMERICA’S UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE.

• unemployedinnj

May 8, 2010 at 6:15 am

I listen to the Presidents and Michelle Obama ask for help for Haiti, and I guess they’re in a position to because their children have food to eat and a roof over their heads. My 15 year old daughter and I will be homeless as of June because after just 79 weeks of unemployment I have been cut off, damn shame I held onto my job as long as I did, if not I too would have been eligible for 99 weeks. How can you people sleep at night knowing that such a large percentage of Americans are losing everything they have ever worked for. Lazy, my ass, give me a job cleaning toilets, I’ll do it. I like most unemployed will do whatever it takes to take care of me and mine!!!!

20. Regina Alexander

May 8, 2010 at 10:23 am

I’m ready to organize/lead a march in NYC!! Let’s hear from the other cities and take our lead from Greece!! Meet on my youtube page if you are ready to get what is justly yours and if you’re tired of waiting until these clowns makeup their minds.EXTENDUEMPLOYMENTNOW-my page.

OUR SLOGAN WILL BE ‘ARREST US OBAMA, IT’S THE ONLY WAY WE CAN GET 3 SQUARE MEALS AND A ROOF OVER OUR HEADS’

• admin

May 8, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Regina, you really need to begin checking your email…. there will be a link there for you to click on and have your post, posted… no need in posting the same material multiple times… this just helps eliminate SPAM on our part

21. Ontheroadway

May 12, 2010 at 7:02 am

It is with my experience, for the most part, that these are true:

Emails -deleted and set as ‘spam’
    Faxes -Trashed
    Marches -Ignored because they’re bothersom and nothing more than ranting and raving
    Petitions -Counted, trashed and ignored
    Step sitting -illegal

However, what you COULD do is get everyone you know who is affected by an issue and make appointments to see each city and state official. For the issue of unemployment, what else are you going to do with your time?

* Contact all the people you know who are affected
    * Call your Mayor, Senator, Congressman, whomever it is that can get things done and MAKE A FACE TO FACE APPOINTMENT.
    !! It is legal
    !! you clog up their waiting room so they cannot ignore you
    !! they cannot escort you out because it is in their best interest to see you
    !! Each individual gets a chance to say what they need (do not make a group appointment).

Because they don’t want the problem of facing you again, they will get things done as quickly as possible.