Temporary 60 Day Unemployment Extension Passed | To House for Final Vote

Washington, D.C. (Apr 15) – The final amendment being added to the long debated “Continuation Bill”, a non-binding measure that states the Senate opposes the value added (federal sales) tax has been voted upon, setting the stage for the final vote on H.R. 4581 the “Continuation Bill” extending the temporary deadline until the first week of June allowing claimants to apply for additional unemployment extension benefits.

The amendment proposed by Senator McCain (R-AZ) was overwhelmingly adopted.

The  Senate moved quickly to invoke cloture to bring the debate on H.R. 4581 to a close, and proceeded directly to the final vote on H.R. 4581 which has in fact, finally passed the Senate 59 to 48.

The bill will provide some relief for those seeking unemployment extensions but, still does not provide funding for those that have exhausted their “Tiers”, or unemployment extension benefits under the current EUC program.

H.R. 4851 will now return to the House for final passage possibly this evening then, onward to President Obama’s desk for his signature. This has been a long unnecessary hardship and burden on America’s unemployed workforce instigated by members of the republican party utilizing more fear and stall tactics.

The bill will now extend the deadline out to June 2, 2010 allowing those that were previously disqualified under the current EUC program to apply for additional weeks of unemployment benefits.

The ball is now in the House of Representative’s court.

Repeated requests into Senator Schumer’s (D-NY), Press Office have failed to provide any valued information either dismissing, or admission that plans are underway for additional unemployment assistance to those that have exhausted their current EUC benefits.

WNV Headline News Posted by on April 15, 2010. Filed under Economic Recovery,economy,News,Politics,US Politics,WorldNewsVine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

65 Responses to Temporary 60 Day Unemployment Extension Passed | To House for Final Vote

1. CarolynE

April 15, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I’m confused. Does this mean that those of us who have exhausted our tier IV aren’t eligible for an extension for EUC?

April 15, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Unfortuantely that is correct

• CarolynE

April 15, 2010 at 5:32 pm

What are we to do?

April 15, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I am awaiting to hear back regarding “strong rumors” that more aid is on the way… can’t say how much or when however, that is the “word” on the streets right now, nothing confirmed…

Regardless, don’t expect that to happen overnight… even if they play by the GOP “rules” someone within the minority will cause problems over this… trust me…

• Joshua

April 15, 2010 at 6:22 pm

What if I just exhausted tier 1 would I be eligible for this new extension?

• Melissa

April 15, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I’ve very confused. I’m in the same position as Carolyn, I was laid off in Sept ’08 from a decent job I was at for 6 years so they could hire someone at half the wages they were paying me & have been searching high and low for any type of work with no luck. I exhausted my vi (4th) tier on April 4th 2010 (80 weeks in total) so do I qualify for this new 99 weeker extension? I spoke with someone on the phone at the Department of Labor & she told me to keep claiming if the bill is passed I would continue to receive benefits, but from what I’ve read in news articles the past few days that I’m excluded, I’m hoping I just misunderstood what I read and I do qualify.
        It’s been a rough week without any income, my cell phone has been shut off for about 3 months, my home phone, internet & cable were shut off yesterday cause I was unable to make a payment this month due to my unemployment running out. My electric will be next and I won’t be able to cook what little food my church and friends have given me and my family.
        I’m 25 years old & live in NY my grandma was the head of the house hold and paid all the bills and food and I gave her what ever money I could to help but she passed a year ago on the 6th and my mom’s hours were cut from 45 down to 25 a week! We are running out of options, my car also broke down a few weeks back and I’m unable to pay to have it fixed so sharing one car between 2 people while looking for work is almost impossible.
        Seriously what does the government expect us to do? Gas is at $3 a gallon, milk is almost $5! I read all these things about how they want us young people to stay in NY but with the cost of every thing, I’ll never be able to move out of my mothers house & buy a place of my own when I start my own family even if I was working with the pay and hour cuts its almost impossible to just survive day to day.
        I’m sorry for the rant, I’m just at a loss. Can someone please clear this up for me, am I eligible for the new extension that gives the unemployed a total of 99 weeks of benefits even though I’ve completed all 4 tiers (80 weeks) on April 4th 2010?
        Any information would be helpful, though I’d prefer an article or something to back up the facts.
        Hope every one gets through this rough time & enjoys their summer the best they can.
        Melissa from NY

• John

April 16, 2010 at 3:33 am

Melissa…..i live in NY too (state)….this new extension WILL allow you to claim the next tier of EB…..the NY state page specifically says if you havent claimed all 99 weeks of your unemployment benefits to keep claiming them and when the legislation is passed you will..

• John

April 16, 2010 at 3:37 am

Its different in different states some dont have the extra 20 weeks of EB that NY state does because of its high unemployment rate–over 8.5%.my email is novacat29@hotmail.com if you want more info on it. Take care :)

• Melissa

April 16, 2010 at 9:56 am

Thank you John, when I read the NY unemployment site I thought that’s what it meant but from reading all the news articles I got confused.
            I know they said it was gonna be retroactive (meaning last weeks claim will go through asap) but they haven’t updated the NY site yet.
            Does any one know when they are going to release the funds? I’m racking up a crazy tab at the local deli buying cold cuts & soda which isn’t the healthiest of foods and its very expensive, but it’s the only place that will allow me to pay for it at a later date so I kinda have no choice.

John, where about in NY are you? I’m over in Sayville if you hear of any job openings or career fairs in my area can you please let me know. Since my car broke down I’m limited to where and when the buses & trains run, but I’m desperate & will take pretty much any job for as many hours as I can.

My email address is ox0melissaox0@aol.com

Have a good day!!

Melissa from NY

April 16, 2010 at 10:53 am

As of this time, I have no idea however, best guess will be that the next time you long into your account to certify the checks will be processed the next business day and then distributed

• John

April 16, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I am glad you must be relieved Melissa I wasnt understanding why people were saying you didnt qualify……!

• John

April 16, 2010 at 4:13 pm

The regular week will be paid on Tuesday the 20th and the week you missed will be paid to you on April 21st…..

• Johnny

April 25, 2010 at 10:52 pm

John, what will she then do, after she exhausts tier V?

• John

April 16, 2010 at 3:56 am

You are still entitled to benefits until June 2nd with this new bill at least….

• Jen

April 15, 2010 at 5:59 pm

No. This helps the unemployed people that have not exhausted their unemployment benefits and EUC.

2. CarolynE

April 15, 2010 at 5:34 pm

what will the people do who have exhausted their tier IV?

• CarolynE

April 15, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I would really rather have a job. I’ve been out of a job since 09/08 and I am actively searching, in good faith, for a job. I know there are a lot of people having the same troubles I have, but what are we to do if companies don’t hire us.

April 15, 2010 at 5:46 pm

As I do believe everyone is Carolyn… the sad part is that this is attacking those in their 50′s that really are in that bad spot of getting rehired… their earnings are too high for the current market and the fact of the matter is that this is the final years to which Social Security would apply regarding supplemental retirement…

• Jen

April 15, 2010 at 6:10 pm

CarolynE:

Here is some information on what to do after your unemployment benefits run out.

Visit this site: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/unemployment/a/unemploymentrunsout.htm

If you have exhausted all of your unemployment tiers the only thing I can think of is get a job completely out of your field, minimum wage, anything to keep a roof over you and your families head and food in their stomachs. But my question is what are the unemployed suposed to do if they have to pay taxes this year? I have filed for an extension and it looks like I have to pay $3000-$6000…not quite sure yet. But an unemployment check seems to be whats keeping a roof over me and my childs head. I am so stressed out over this whole thing….I am considering jumping off.

• Johnny

April 26, 2010 at 12:51 am

So CaroylnE, then I presume that the website was unhelpful for you?

But really CaroylnE please don’t jump off!
          You have a family who love and need you!

• Johnny

April 26, 2010 at 12:55 am

I’m sorry, I meant Jen!

• Jen

April 26, 2010 at 11:03 am

Thanks John. I’m still here. =/

• John

April 16, 2010 at 3:39 am

What state are you in Carolyn?…..

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention Temporary 60 Day Unemployment Extension Passed | To House for Final Vote | Breaking News WorldNewsVine -- Topsy.com

4. Pingback: Tweets that mention Temporary 60 Day Unemployment Extension Passed | To House for Final Vote | Breaking News WorldNewsVine -- Topsy.com

5. nimust

April 15, 2010 at 6:04 pm

This does nothing for the ones who were lucky enough to get a tier 4, in Texas the unemployment is being stated at 8.2% which we all know is not the truth or actual number. So we did not even get 99 weeks as the rest did. I would say to all write Congress, have friends, neighbors anyone you know, becuase if not we will be left out in the cold. This is a great way to bring those unemployment figures down by having the majority drop by the wayside. I have seen this before in the 80′s unemployment statistics went down after everyone exhausted their unemployment and the government was saying look its getting better. All this bill does is test the waters for Congress to see if they can stall and the American public forgets about all of us.

6. Jen

April 15, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I was laid off October 25, 2009 and the year ending until October 2010. My unemployment benefits end April 25, 2010 and I would only receive a little over a weeks payment for a 2 week period. I almost got screwed because I never got to get an extension because of the March 28th or April 3 deadline….so now that this bill has been passed to extend it until June 2, 2010 does this mean that I will continue to receive EUC until October, my year ending? Or September 29, 2010? How does this work?

• Ronaldo

April 15, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Im in the same boat but a month earlier. I ran out right after the deadline, a little longer than six months, have not received any scrill all of April. Am I the one that is going to be helped? what are the tiers all about? I haven’t been told what tier I have even exhausted.

• Jen

April 15, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Ronald:

yea I believe you will be helped…as long as you have not exhausted your benefits up to tier 4. I had nearly 1 1/2 checks after the deadline….as long as you are within your 1 year timeline of unemployment for example October 2009 – October 2010….and exhaust your benefits ( your first 6 months)by June 2, 2010 or whatever date the new deadline is. So continue to make your payment request and dont stop, even if there is no money available you need to keep doing it otherwise you could lose your benefits because it shows you are not looking for a job anymore.

• Jen

April 15, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Ronald:

Here is something I copied from Texas Workforce Commission: (These dates are current, but once the Obama signs the new bill then you can change the deadline date to June 2, 2010. Read below.

Current Deadlines for EUC and EB
          On March 2, 2010, President Obama and the U.S. Congress extended the deadline to qualify for Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) and state Extended Benefits (EB) from February 27, 2010, to April 3, 2010. This change will allow more long-term unemployed recipients to qualify for the federal extension of benefits.
          The extended deadline will affect claims as follows:
          • If you run out of your regular Unemployment Insurance benefits on or before March 27, 2010, you can apply for EUC Tier 1. This extension provides up to 20 weeks of benefits. TWC mails you an application after you exhaust your regular benefits. You have until September 4, 2010 to collect the benefits on your EUC claim.
          • If you run out of EUC Tier 1 on or before April 3, 2010, you may be eligible for EUC Tier 2, which provides up to 14 weeks of benefits. If you exhaust Tier 1 by the deadline, TWC will automatically add Tier 2 benefits to your claim. You have until September 4, 2010 to collect the benefits on your EUC claim.
          • If you run out of EUC Tier 2 on or before April 3, 2010, you may be eligible for EUC Tier 3, which provides up to 13 weeks of benefits. If you exhaust Tier 2 by the deadline, TWC will automatically add Tier 3 benefits to your claim. You have until September 4, 2010 to collect the benefits on your EUC claim.
          • If you run out of EUC Tier 3 on or before March 27, 2010, you may be eligible for state Extended Benefits (EB), which provides up to 20 weeks of benefits. If you exhaust Tier 3 by the deadline and have not already received EB, TWC will automatically add the state EB to your claim. TWC can pay EB through the week of April 3, 2010.

• Jen

April 15, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Remember – change the deadline to June 2, 2010 instead of March 27, 2010

Overview
            There are two programs for extending unemployment insurance (UI) benefits.
            • Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC)
            • Extended Benefits (EB)
            Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC)
            EUC has three levels: Tiers 1, 2, and 3.
            • EUC Tier 1 provides up to 20 weeks of benefits to claimants who exhaust regular UI benefits. To be eligible for EUC Tier 1 benefits, you must exhaust your regular UI benefits by March 27, 2010. TWC sends you an EUC application and determines your eligibility. See EUC Tier 1 section for more details.
            • EUC Tier 2 provides up to 14 weeks of benefits to claimants who exhaust EUC Tier 1 benefits by April 3, 2010. TWC automatically adds the benefits to your claim. See EUC Tier 2 section for more details.
            • EUC Tier 3 provides up to 13 weeks of benefits to claimants who exhaust EUC Tier 1 benefits by April 3, 2010. TWC automatically adds the benefits to your claim. See EUC Tier 3 section for more details.
            Extended Benefits (EB)
            EB provides benefits for eligible claimants who have exhausted regular UI benefits and all EUC benefits.
            • Texas currently qualifies for the High Unemployment Period (HUP) of EB, which pays up to 20 weeks of benefits. You must exhaust regular and EUC benefits by March 27, 2010. TWC automatically adds the benefits to your claim. See EB section for more details.
            Reminders
            Current Address
            • TWC notifies you by mail when you qualify for an extension, so make sure we have your correct address.
            • To verify your current address, sign on to Unemployment Benefits Services, select Contact Information from the Change My Profile menu, and follow instructions.
            Remaining Balances
            • If you have a balance on your EUC claim as of April 4, 2010, you have until September 4, 2010, to request payment of those funds.
            EUC Tier 1 Details
            EUC Tier 1 pays 20 weeks of benefits or 80 percent of your regular UI claim, whichever is less.
            Applying for Tier 1 Benefits
            TWC mails you an EUC application to complete and return to TWC after you exhaust your regular benefits. TWC determines your eligibility for the extension once you complete and return the application to TWC.
            Note: Continue to submit your Request for Payment, as required.
            Eligibility
            • You must exhaust your regular UI benefits by March 27, 2010.
            • Your Tier 1 claim must begin March 28, 2010, or before.
            • Your base period wages must equal or exceed 40 times your weekly benefit amount. (If your regular claim pays 26 weeks of benefits, you meet this qualification.)
            • You must have exhausted your regular benefits on your most recent claim, or the claim year must be expired.
            • Your regular claim must have expired May 1, 2007, or later.
            • You cannot be eligible for unemployment benefits on a new regular claim in Texas, in any other state, or Canada.
            EUC Tier 2 Details
            EUC Tier 2 pays 14 weeks of benefits or 54 percent of your regular UI claim, whichever is less.
            Note: If you qualified for Tier 2 benefits before January 17, 2010, TWC originally calculated your Tier 2 benefits at a maximum of 13 weeks or 50 percent of your regular claim. We added the extra week or 4 percent of benefits to your EUC claim at the end of January, 2010.

April 15, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Jen,

I’m sorry I must have missed our introduction… do you work for the Labor Department?

• Jen

April 16, 2010 at 12:30 am

Editor:

Well, nooo…lol…I am terribly sorry for coming on your website and answering questions….I am unemployed and have been following congress about this act. I then searched and found your post. I have read a lot about unemployment extensions so I really just felt like responding to some of there questions as I thought this was a forum for anyone to talk back and forth…hopefully my answers are correct. Just waiting on more info for confirmation.

• Jen

April 16, 2010 at 12:35 am

And no…I did not mean to say

“Ronald:

If you have used all of your benefits from the first 6 months then now you will be eligible to move on to tier I.” In no way did I mean to say that you will…I am not authorizing that. lol, but I am suggesting that you may be eligible because of your timeframe that you became unemployed and have exhausted your UI.

April 18, 2010 at 8:01 am

Jen – not a problem, if you are interested in becoming a columnist here with WNV let us know visit http://worldnewsvine.com

• Jen

April 26, 2010 at 11:02 am

Thank you so much for the info! I will look into it.

• hjra

April 15, 2010 at 7:43 pm

you will be moved to tier1 of EUC once u exhaust your regular 26 weeks benefits. Tier1 is 20 weeks.. you will automatically become eligible if your regular 26 weeks end before June 2..

7. Chris

April 15, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Will this extension continue the EB Benefits for states over 8.5% even though most states tur triggers have expired

April 15, 2010 at 7:10 pm

This bill will extend the current EUC program until June 2 so, whatever “rules” applied to this date will soon apply until that date… (once passed by the House)

8. Carolyn

April 16, 2010 at 3:55 am

I am confused as to what to do regarding EB. I have run out of Tier I through IV. After submitting an e-mail to the unemployment office, I actually got a call from the unemployment office in response to my e-mail. She said that I was definitely eligibile for EB benefits. Everywhere you read – it says to keep filing even if unemployment has not been extended. Since my EUC ran out – there is nowhere to file my claim for EB online. I have no idea what to do from here. I know that last summer when EB started to be offered – the website said that it all had to be done in writing and nothing could be done online. In recent weeks, it was said that this time EB can be filed online, but I have no idea where to find it. Am I to call or what? I think the Unemployment website has been far more clear in the last year, but some things – such as this are not clear and I don’t want to miss out on getting the EB weeks I am eligible for. Can anyone tell me what I am to do? I would appreciate any information. BTW, I am a different Carolyn than the one that posted at the beginning of this. Just wanted to make this clear as our issues are different. Thank you.

• John

April 16, 2010 at 8:19 am

Carolyn what state are you in also?…In NY state where i am the next phase after the 6 weeks of tier IV is 20 weeks of EB , just like Melissa above has gotton so far (80 weeks) with the extension she goes into the EB tier and so should you.

April 18, 2010 at 8:04 am

NYS Department of Labor’s website clearly states:

. New York State now provides 73 additional weeks of unemployment benefits, as well as the usual 26 weeks of regular benefits. These benefits may be claimed in the usual manner; and it is not necessary to file a new claim unless the individual is advised to do so.

The additional 73 weeks of benefits are currently provided under two separate programs that allow unemployed individuals to continue receiving benefits after running out of their regular state benefits. These programs are:

•Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) – providing 53 weeks of emergency benefits
        •Extended Benefits (EB) – providing 20 weeks of extended benefits.
        It is important to note that each program has its own timeframes and deadlines, and therefore, not all claimants are eligible for the full 53 weeks of Emergency Benefits and the 20 weeks of Extended Benefits.

Here’s the link for the full text (right click to open in a new browser) http://www.labor.state.ny.us/ui/claimantinfo/ExtendedBenefits.shtm

• John

April 18, 2010 at 8:43 am

Hi in NYS everyone who wasnt at the 99 weeks is extended till the May 30th deadline or until their 99th week is up either one

April 18, 2010 at 10:02 am

Incorrect, NYS provides 77 weeks of EUC and an additional 16 weeks of EB and only those laid-off between `May 08 to mid Nov 98 qualify for EB

9. Pingback: Temporary 60 Day Unemployment Extension Passed | To House For … – My Goose Is Cooked

10. gmp1373

April 18, 2010 at 6:57 am

I am still confused. Based on the NYS Benefits Calculator I was entitled to 20 weeks UI tier 1 and 26 weeks EB. Total allowed 46 weeks. The Calculator indicates no more. I just filed, what appears to be, my last available claim this morning. Am I included in the extension?

Thanks in advance for help in clarifying.

April 18, 2010 at 7:54 am

Actually it’s either too early or I am just completely confused about your question.

What is your OC data? If you have just completed a “Tier” your account will be “zero” usually until the following business day of next week after you claim your weekly benefits… does that make sense? If not call Labor and ask them on Monday (good luck) or Tuesday…

• gmp1373

April 18, 2010 at 8:17 am

My OC date was 7/19/2009.

April 18, 2010 at 8:23 am

That would appear to be correct as the rules stand now, and unfortunately from your stand-point (as the best I can tell – CALL DOL MONDAY) you are entitled to 46 weeks of total benefits.. we will be doing a follow-up article to be published today regarding the confusion on this matter… but please contact DOL ASAP and get the answer straight from the horse’s mouth on this one….

• John

April 18, 2010 at 8:38 am

Hi gmp….with a OCD of 7/19/2009 you are entitled to 46 weeks according to the benefits calculator. 26 weeks regular then 20 weeks of EUC until the May 30th deadline which they will entend it again before that most likely….

• gmp1373

April 18, 2010 at 9:20 am

Thank you both so much for your help and explanations. I went and counted the weeks received and it appears I still have 6 weeks remaining (although is not reflected yet). I am assuming that I will just need to keep filing as normal, however I will call DOL in the morning to be sure.
            It saddens me that so many of us are living with so many fears today. It would help tremendously if employers would stop using credit background checks to determine the worth of a potential employee. I have been on interviews, have my resume everywhere in this area and surrounding and have it posted on Monster and Career Builder. As a single mother of 3 children, restructuring my household budget after losing my job was difficult. I have eliminated from the budget the “wants” of life like cable, I don’t use credit cards, we do not take vacations, heck we don’t even drive an hour out of the area for a hiking day. Still at then end of the week there is barely enough to pay all of my expenses in full, put gas in the car and buy toilet paper. My ex owes over $30,000.00 in child support. I have been involved in trying to violate him for over six months and am still no closer to any action against him then I was when I started yet I have to put the gas in the car to drive to court, and pay the parking garage every time we get an adjournment. Needless to say my credit has suffered and after making it though the 2 interview phases job offers are getting rescinded, if they are made, based on my credit check. If, at the end of 6 weeks unemployment stops I will not know what to do to keep the roof over the heads of my children. Something has to change in America. A lot needs to change in NY.

April 18, 2010 at 10:00 am

That would be correct, the EUC program is distributed in 13 week (chunks, a fiscal quarter) hence, the remainder will appear after you file your claim next Sunday… that is the monies will appear in your account on Monday once the claim has been processed…

April 18, 2010 at 8:07 am

gmp – here’s the link

Under which Tier did you file this morning? The Tier 1 or the EB? Again let us know what your Original Claim Date was (your unpaid waiting week) which can be found if you check your “Payment Status” and then maybe I can provide you with a little more clarity on this matter

11. Kathleen

April 19, 2010 at 6:08 pm

My name is Kathleen, and I live in Illinois. I filed for unemployment on November 12,2009. I receive 410.00 per week, and as of today, have a balance of 1,932.00 regarding the remainder of my 26 week regular benefits, which will expire I am guessing about May 23 if 10.

I am soooooo confused because everyone has a different answer, my question to the editor is; do I qualify for EUC Tier 1, and I would also like who IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR RECEIVING EUC TIER 1 if you have been unemployed for 26 weeks, available and looking for a job, always, etc etc.

Every website I research states that even though you are receiving regular 26 week benefits, you might not qualify for EUC Tiers 1-4 WHY WHY WHY???????

No one wants a job more than me, and in my 51 years of living, and 30 years as a professional, I have never experienced anything like this before, NEVER. I have pounded the pavements regarding retail and fast food chains, not too proud, as I choose employment over being at the mercy of the government. With 2 bachelor degrees and 29 hours toward a masters, I am just as much overqualified as underqualified. Can anyone give me a straight answer, as I am ready to throw in the towel?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless each and every American that is going through this nightmare, whether you are a 26er to a 99 weeker, UNEMPLOYMENT IS DESPERATION, SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, DEPRESSION, ETC ETC ETC.

April 19, 2010 at 6:12 pm

According to what is written and is law you should qualify for Tier I which is an additional 20 weeks — which in your case may be very lucky for, if Congress doesn’t pass some form of legisilation by June ~5th – then, it is going to be one long hot summer…. Senate goes on recess for 3 months beginning June ~5th

• Kathleen

April 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm

This is Kathleen again, from Illinois. Thank you for being so prompt, but again, I would like to know WHO WOULD NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR TIER 1 if you went through the 26 week regular process, is now coming to an end before June 1, 2010, you have done above and beyond your duties looking for employment, and have not received any income throughout these 26 weeks. WHY WOULDN’T YOU BE ELIGIBLE FOR TIER 1?

April 19, 2010 at 7:04 pm

effective date Nov. 23, 2009 and later: 26 weeks of regular UI only

Now – in your case you will need to find the Effective Date of your claim… The effective date is usually the Monday or Sunday of the week you filed your claim… let us know

• Kathleen

April 19, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Thanks again editor. My effective date is November 10, 2010, regarding my
            initial file for unemployment. Does this help? Kathleen from Illinos

April 19, 2010 at 7:22 pm

You should be able to get another 20 weeks….

• Kathy

April 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Hello, this is Kathy from Florida. I am coming to end on my 26 weeks of regular unemployment however I think I fall into the category of not qualifying for Tier 1 benefits. According to my calculations my last week of benefits is may 23rd. I will not have exhausted my benefits “by” May 23rd. My claim started on Sunday 11.22.2009. Does anyone know if I qualify for Tier one or do I have to wait and hope Congress extends the bill before they go on summer recess…

• GK66

April 22, 2010 at 8:47 am

First, let me say that I am NOT just sitting back and looking for a handout. I’m looking for a JOB! I’ve got 3 kids in college – trust me, I’m motivated! With 20+ yrs work experience, I’ve survived 2 other layoffs prior to this one in the past 10 yrs, but have never had this much difficulty finding a new position. Thankfully, I have learned from the past and am able to financially keep my head above water on the $415/wk I’m currently getting in UB’s. However, like most people, I’m going to be in deep sh** if the UB’s run out before I’m able to land another job and I’m simply trying to prepare myself for the worst case scenario and would really like to know what/when it’s going to happen.

I’m in NY and appear to be in the same situation as Kathy in Florida – with an OC date of November 23, 2009. And, I’m just as confused regarding whether or not I’ll be eligible for an extension. The NY DOL website has a benefits calculator and chart indicating, as of today, that I am only eligible for 26 weeks of benefits and no extensions. Will the legislation that is pending extend the OC date and when will we know? Or are they simply granting more money to those who are already getting extensions (adding tiers)? I’m just as unemployed as the people who got their pink slips the week before me, but they are getting an additional 20 weeks. I don’t get it.

12. GK66

April 22, 2010 at 9:01 am

April 22, 2010 at 10:19 am

The pending legislation (to which I am following up with right now) IF, the $27.1 billion is found to fill the void in funding, then the bill will be brought back to the House floor and voted on. IF that happens then the current EUC program lacking any additional “tiers” will be extended to the end of 2010 allowing “newcomers” to the program to utilize the same tiers, that those that came and went before them have…. does that make sense?

• GK66

April 23, 2010 at 10:56 am

Yes, it makes sense… but when is this all supposed to happen?

13. Rachael

April 30, 2010 at 10:33 am

I am in Florida and have been unemployed since Oct 31, 08 and filed my claim at the beginning early November. I will exhaust my tier IV in the first week of May, does this mean I won’t be eligible for the 60 day extension? Or any other benefits? Please help!